Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.223 for whitetails?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default .223 for whitetails?

Here in Minnesota a new regulation takes affect this year changing the minumum caliber for deer hunting from .243 to .223. I'm not sure what to think about that one for the fact thatbucks in this statecan get very large. Just last year I shot a 260 pound buck at 60 yards with a .30-06 Federal 'Powershock' 150gr. bullet. I shot the buck at the base of the neck and the bullet did not even exit, just exploded in the upper chest cavity. The bulletdid it's job as the buck dropped dead on the spot. This buck was solid muscle with hugh shoulders. I would just be concerned that a .223 bullet (even a good quality premium one) would be able to penetrate the bone on a shoulder shot. I thought the Military's intent for this round was to injureover killing. See attached photo of buck.

Just wanted to get your opinions, as I have no experience with the .223.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/huntingthenorth/DSCN3878.jpg
Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .223 for whitetails?

Here we go again.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats one big ole buck. Congrats. Regarding the .223, the general consesus is that's it's not the best choice (especially for large, northern deer). Some swear by it, but most agree with my above statement.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right or wrong, here in NC there is no minimum caliber listed in our game regulations...It's up to the hunter to choose...

Frankly, I like that approach...

Personally, I have killed at least 25 deer with a 22-250, this was back in the 70s and many were shot in the summer while eating our peanuts...It was very effective...Now, 30 some years later, we have the 60gr Nosler Partition for both the .223 and the 22-250...I have a niece that has used this bullet on 8 deer, never lost a one...The advantage to the Partition is full penetration, she has had that on both lung shots and high shoulder shot...I have cleaned 4-5 of the deer she shot so I've seen what that bullet will do...

Now, I would not go out and buy a 22-250 or .223 as my go to deer rifle...I use a .243...But you also need to remember that there are many guys that love to target shoot, reload and varmit hunt with these .22 centerfires...Many of these are excellent shots...

I'd rather see a fellow like that use the rifle he is used to rather than see some of the guys I've seen show up at the deer camp with a large bore rifle that they are scared of and don't shoot much...
Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

you just have to have a little discipline with the .223. Complete broad side shot and it will kill everytime. Deer can not go far with a double lung shot.
I use a .22 Hornet for deer and hogs, but I neck or head shoot everyone, and not one has taken a step. The .223 makes an excellent neck shooter. Light recoiling and deadly accurate.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree. It is not my first choice for sure - but with the proper bullets and shot placement a .223 will definately work. I had a guide in OK that told me that was all he used for mulies.
I have a question for you? Is a semi auto rifle legal in MI? If so, there may be a bunch of black rifles out in the woods this year. Better don on your balze orange bullet proof vest.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:56 PM

I have killed deer with my 223 and never lost one. I prefer the Speer 70 gr simi spitzer for deer size game, although the Sierra 65 gr Game King is designed for medium game as well.
I have a few boxes of the Nosler partisions and they are very inaccurate in my Savage heavy varmint, so I choose not to use them. Although I have recently purchased a new Savage mod 25 Classic as a walk arround gun and who knows it might just like those Noslers.
I have been told that the Winchester 64 gr spitzer bullets were great on deer size game as long as you don't launch them too fast, and this would be a great thing as they can be purchased for around $60 per 500 from Midway.
If you can take only standing broad side shots and can hit the vitals every time the 223 with heavier bullets will kill cleanly, if notopt for more gun.
Here around the Lake Martin area of central Alabama I often hunt with my beagles, my rifle of choice is a Marlin 1895 with 430 gr hard cast bullets, it'll penetrate any deer from a--hole to appetite and group sub moa on a good day.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use it for smaller bodied southern deer, but I would opt for something bigger for mulies and the big boys up North. However, if it's legal, it's legal.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

You would have to pick and choose your shots and limit your range. Just don't do something stupid like oh....shooting a deer at the base of the neck.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot .223's all my life. I would not feel undergunned in the deer woods with one. Many of my neighbors hunt with the .223 and nothing else, and I feel it's a great round for deer sized game. I think there's better rounds out there though.

Quick Reply: .223 for whitetails?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.