Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullets in the ground

Old 03-16-2003, 08:37 AM

Default Bullets in the ground

Where i shoot my guns, the bullets land in a neighboring farmers field, I mainly shoot my slug gun and a .22. Will this do anything to hurt his field?
Thank you
Old 03-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bullets in the ground

id be very careful...i thought a bullet travling as fast as it does would never ricochet of the soft ground..but my friend was shooting and sure enough one did...nobody got hurt or anything but we quit puting targets around in the yard and just walked our lazy butts 100yds to the range we have with a backstop....just something to think about if there is anything in the distance beyond your target....maybe try finding a hill somewhere and clearing a lane to shot on...the hill will be a good backstop...but if theres nothing in the way the only thing that can hurt is the lead......im not sure what that would do...mabe someone does.....im not sure if lead will hurt the plants or maybe make them poisonus or what...good luck....
Old 03-16-2003, 09:32 AM

I don' t think the lead will be a problem. As far as I know, the Department of Game and Fish only regulates the firing of lead over water (steel shot for ducks). If they thought the lead would harm anything they wouldn' t let us shoot lead at dove and other birds. However, your neighbor would have the legal right to stop you from this activity. It would fall under the catagory of Trespass.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:50 PM

we have a little dirt pile behind a piece of (oft replaced) plywood. The dirtpile contains over 10,000 rounds of .22, 2,000 rounds of .44, and 1,200 rounds of .45, along with unknown quantities from various calibers. Do you think that the dirt could be contaminated?!?![>:]
Old 03-16-2003, 03:26 PM

the lead will only be harmful if the farmer has got some hogs and he lets them into that field. If he does tell the farmer not to let his hogs go over in that area and you better quit shooting there. You probablly dont have to worry about the hill, just add some dirt to it once in a while.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:25 PM

I wonder about the EPA and no lead over water. Think of all the lead sinkers that get lost in the water every year and they never talk about banning lead sinkers. I just think it was an anti gun thing, an attempt to cut back on hunting. But luckily alternative were found to lead, some maybe even better.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:35 PM

actually there are many states that have started banning the use of lead sinkers for fishing. I know NH and Maine but can' t think of others at the moment.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:51 PM

Thanks! Didn' t know that. Had to start up North though...figures
Old 03-17-2003, 01:14 AM

With regard to the mound of dirt with 10,000+ rounds in it - yes, it is contaminated. Lead poisoning can be very serious, especially in children. I don' t think you have anything to worry about though. The obvious precautions would be to 1) not let children play on the mound and 2) don' t plant your vegetable garden on it. Other than that I think you should be fine.