Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Unfortunate situation-May need a new rifle

Old 09-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unfortunate situation-May need a new rifle

You need a different gunsmith pronto.
Go get your gun and never take any firearms back there for service, ever.

Please don't let anyone tell you they will make the part for you. Especially the Gander Mountain nimrod.

It is possible your gun has had some scavanged parts put on it and therefore may have some odd serial numbers here or there.... but any reputable smith would have solved your problem months ago, or would have told you they couldn't help you and returned your firearm to you with an apology.

After all, it's not like it was a blue job that needed to be sent to Europe becasue of silica in the steel, or some other exotic issue. This is a straightforward parts replacement.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

I went to Gander a couple times to see how they were progressing and put a little pressure on them. Since they were having no luck getting the part (Mainspring Tube) I took some advise I got off this board and called Midwest Gun parts and told them of the situation. Then I went back to Gander, gave them the phone number of the guy I spoke with and told them to call him.

Went back 2 days later and they had shipped the gun to Midwest to have them fix it!!!! Pretty embarasing for Gander and they feel bad about the situation. Hopefully it all works out. If not I'll use the Omega.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO you ran into the main problem with buying a rifle from someone who is not the manufacturer. That is the biggest problem with guns from companies like Browning and Charles Daly. These companies are a trade name, and basically make nothing. Just marketers.

If you have not found your part yet, then go to the LeverGuns forum by PACO. You wil find what you need there. Those guys are real pros. Tom.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: johnnydialtone

Last November I was trying to do the right thing and use a rope to bring my rifle up after I got into my stand. Well, the knot on the rope gave way and the gun fell 20 feet and broke where the reciever and stock meet. There is some part for my late 1970s Browning BLR 308that the gunsmith at the Eden Prairie, MNGander Mountain can't find and I am getting very nervous that I may need to get a new rifle.

Thinking about a decent bolt gun. Don't need a Mag, just want a accurate moderately priced gun with a decent 3x9 scope. Was thinking about a T3 but am out of the loop when it comes to rifles as I haven't bought one in 25 plus years.

I hunt whitetails and will be hunting elk as well so something in the 270 - 308 - 3006 cal would be appropriate.

Need some opinions on some good rifles that are affordable as I haveminimal budget for this right now.

Thanks.

Hell, I'd just send it to Browning for fixin'! BLR's are great guns.... I had one in .358 WCF, and it was outstanding!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:41 AM

I to wouldn't use Gander mountain and gun smith in the same sentence [:'(] . here is a place that you may want to keep in mind for future problems
http://www.e-gunparts.com/
they sell a catalog for $15.00 that is about 3 inches thick that is fun to thumb through when at deer camp
hope all works out for you
Mike
Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

if you end up w/ a new gun, why not a 7mm or a 7-08? Both perfectly capable of deer and elk and probably bears too. Id even tote one on a moose hunt.

as for the 3 you listed, id go 308 over the 3006. better balistics. if you a softy, id stick w/ the 270. It too should drop an elk.