Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm RM or 300 WSM?

Old 03-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7mm RM or 300 WSM?

Ok, I' m going to sell my 7mm RM and upgrade to a newer rifle. I already own all the 7mm RM reloading components but the 30 cal. seems to have a bit more energy for the most part. I hunt mule deer, elk, and want to be able to hunt black bear, moose, cariboo, cougar, etc.

Which should I get? If I stay with 7mm I am pretty well set for all my reloading needs. If I go with the 300 WSM I' ll have to buy a ton of brass, dies, manual, bullets, etc. Should I just be smart and stick with the trusty 7mm or go for the golden ring? I' ve been really hot for the 300 WSM since it was introduced but lately I' ve stumbled across a couple articles mentioning some of the drawbacks of the WSM' s (have to load the bullet deep to fit due to OAL restrictions, limits on added performance, etc.).

I know you all have years of experience so I' d appreciate your sage wisdom over my dilema.

Power

(P.S. In case you' re curious I' m going to buy a Tikka T-3 stainless. Still need to decide between the syn. stock or laminate [if they make a t-3 with laminate stock])
Old 03-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7mm RM or 300 WSM?

There is nothing a .300 WSM can do that a 7mm Rem Mag can' t. In fact, when handloaded, the 7mm Rem Mag may be a bit flatter and have more energy at extreme range the the .300 WSM.

But if you want the .300 WSM, buy it. You' ll never see a practical difference between the two.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. Still on the fence but I should stay with the 7mm due to cost to change calibers. Would like a 30 cal. rifle but probably not that big of a deal to warrant the cost.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my main motivation between the two was for the frontal area advantage (more explosive impact) but mainly to move away from a belted cartridge. Might look at the same option as a 7mm WSM but I know from past experience seating depth on a 7mm can be tough with the bigger bullets (150g Scirocco, 175g Part.) and I imagine the WSM would only make things tougher without infringing deeper inside the case with the tail of the bullet.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stick with your 7mm RUM it will take all the game you mentioned. Like Otis said, " Jump up to a .338 Win. mag." . Save your money and purchase a .338 Mag., but keep the 7mm RUM. I love my 340 Wby. Mag. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]