Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

Old 03-13-2003, 12:26 PM

Default I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

Marlins seem to be the cheapest decent 22 mag rifle. Is this correct? I can get a 83 TS for about $180 and a 25 MN for about $170 including tax. The MN is clip mag 7 shot, birch stock. The TS is a sythetic stock tube mag 12 shot. I am leaning towards the TS. Any problems with tube mags for 22mag? Can you clean them if they get wet? Both rifles appear to have the same bolt action, barrel, etc. Anything else under $200 in a 22 mag bolt action? I' d like to order the rifle around the end of the month. Thanks!!!
Old 03-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

You should be able to pick up an 882 for $200. I have the bull barreled model and its a tack driver.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:25 PM

Ryan,
Do you think that it is worth the extra $20-$30 to get the walnut stock? Because the 25 MN is basically the 882 with a birch stock and the 83 TS is the 882 (883) with a synthetic stock and tube magazine. But it is $20 cheaper. The Tube mag also holds 12 vs. 6 bullets. Any advantages of the clip mag vs. the tube mag? I think I would actually like the synthetic stock as it doesn' t get beat up and won' t warp.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:49 PM

Clearanceman,
Yeah I know we all practice gun safety, but I dislike having a firearm that you can look down the bore while you load it. Sure you should check the chamber and point the bore as far away from your face as possible, but I bet there' s not a tube mag fed 22 out there that hasn' t inadvertently been pointed in a bad direction while being loaded at one time or another. Don' t get me wrong, I own 2 tube mag 22s, but I prefer to set my 22 down and load the seperate clip. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:58 PM

Thanks! Is there any other reason? Just wondering because this is a bolt action. I would think it would be pretty hard to cycle the bolt before you load it. I can' t imagine that I would cycle the bolt so the weapon is cocked and then feed bullets in the tube. Usually, you load and then cycle the bolt. But I was wondering too if the tube can be detached and cleaned if it gets dirty. I borrowed a buddy' s tube fed .22 LR semi auto one time and it looked like hell but man did it shoot. That sucker was a tack driver. So I guess the tube doesn' t effect accuracy at all. Is this right?
Old 03-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

I was in the same situation last year and decided to pick up a Savage instead. http://www.wholesalesports.com/images/savage/167906.gif
I really liked the feel compared to the Marlin. I picked it up for $299 CAD. that means you could probably find it for $180 US I' m guessing. The one big reason I liked the clip as opposed to the tube loader was the amount of ammo you will use. It' s no lie, we usually don' t make our shots count as much when we know we have 10 more to back up that one. The ammo is double the price of a .22 LR and it adds up if you shoot as much as I do. I topped mine off with a Simmons 3-9 .22 Mag scope and it' s great out to 150 yds. You really should feel both guns before you buy the Marlin, I really liked the Savages synthetic stock and heavy stainless barrel, you can' t go wrong for the price and it has worked flawlessly. The fiancee got me a bi-pod this year for Christmas so I' m primed to head out for gophers as soon as this weather breaks. Good luck on your choice! JDinAB
Old 03-13-2003, 04:45 PM

Thanks! I will investigate! Yes, I also got a .22 mag in 3-9!!! I have one on my 10/22 and it is great scope for the money.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:00 PM

JD, I did some searching. Thanks man! Looks like the savage is cheaper and a lot cheaper if you just get the blued barrel wood stock. Or maybe the stainless steel synthetic but without the bull barrell. How' s the trigger?
Old 03-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find yourself a (not new, oh my gosh) Mossberg 640KA " Chuckster" . Bolt action. Built SOLID. Tack driver. The " Chuckster" was the longest barrel model.

Anyone?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:23 PM
Spike

I have a CZ 452 in a 22 mag with a Simmons 22 Mag 3X9 scope on it, I love this rifle, check out the CZs they are great rifles.
http://www.cz-usa.com/

Quick Reply: I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.