Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

Old 03-14-2003, 02:11 PM

Default RE: I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

I found out that the receiver on the blued model is grooved so it will take 22 rings. I still can' t decide. The savage is $21 cheaper than the marlin and it has a synthetic stock. However, gun tests says that the balance isn' t as good as the marlin and that the stock butt is slippery. The marlin has a birch stock which I think is pretty much worthless. However, it has the more non slip butt plate and gun tests says it is very well balanced. It also holds two more rounds which is nice. This is tough! What do you think about the stock on the savage as far as scope alignment. The comb is straight so it isn' t high like the marlin, supposedly you get less check contact.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

like I said...works great for me! As for the stocks, I love wood but it really made the guns look cheap. Really like the synthetic for this kind of gun. I don' t have to worry about babying it as much as a wooden gun. The reviews are opinions of a few but I really think you should go feel them yourself...one man' s Marlin is another man' s Weatherby...are they readily available to you or do you have to order them? I scoured the net for reviews and pondered for days until I held them all in my hands and shouldered them, I made my mind up in 5 minutes. Funny how that works sometimes
Old 03-14-2003, 04:16 PM

Yes, that is the problem the marlin is available and I have checked it out but the Savage is not available in person so I would have to order it and hope for the best. I hate having to do that.