Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Spotting Scope Recommendations Wanted

Old 03-13-2003, 12:32 AM

Default Spotting Scope Recommendations Wanted

I' m looking to add a spotting scope to the toolkit in the near future. Most probable use would be for trips to the range. With that in mind, size and weight wouldn' t be as big an issue, but maybe that' s the wrong approach. I' d be interested in hearing recommendations.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spotting Scope Recommendations Wanted

I have a pretty nice Redfield that has never let me down. It is no Swarovski, though.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want it mostly for the range,Simmons make a good spotting scope and it won' t break the wallet! As for hunting,spend as much as you can...
Old 03-13-2003, 08:44 AM

Another one to consider is the Leupold Sequoia. Great scope for the money.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
Old 03-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a B&L Elite 15-45 that weighs 26 ounces ...same scope as the Nikon Owl with similiar zoom range but the Nikon is not phase corrected. Superior scope to anything in the price range. I could have gone to a Leica 77 mm Televid at the time but 50+ ounces plus tripod is a bit much to lug around...The Swarovski looked like a Rube Goldberg contraption. The newer Swarovskis and Leicas and now Zeiss have slimmed down a bit and should be looked into.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Nikon 16-47 Spotter XL(kit) is an excellent scope. I think they are around $500 now for the kit.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:03 PM

As with riflescopes, the more you spend (generally) the more you get. However, there are some very fine spotting scopes in the medium price range. If the scope will be used mainly at the range I would give these features some serious consideration:

-Go at least 60 mm on the objective lense. More light = better view.
-" Armor" coating with a rubber surface makes them easier to grip.
-Straight through or angled eyepiece. Straight is easier to find the object being viewed but angled is more comfortable.
-Eyepiece. Not all eyepieces are the same. If you choose a medium or upper level price range there will be a choice of eyepieces. Some fixed power, some zoom. If you go zoom make sure it has plenty of eye relief and is wide angle.
-Tripod. A good quality tripod will enhance the use of the scope and its view.
-Lense coatings = more crisp image.
-Waterproof?
-Size. If the scope will mainly be used at the range then size is of no consequence. But if you are going to tote the thing into a deer stand then smaller size is handy.
-Price. You can spend anywhere from $200 to as much as you can afford.

That being said, I really like the Nikon Fieldscope. An excellent medium price range scope in a smaller size with all the view of most of the bigger scopes. Kowa also makes excellent scopes. I know Zeiss and Swarovski have put out new 80 & 85mm scopes recently.

I would suggest looking through as many scopes as you can. Preferable side by side, if possible. Some just " fit" better, are easier to use, and feel right compared to others. And, as has been said before, everyone' s eyes use light differently.

Take a look at www.betterviewdesired.com for non-sponsored reivews on optics of all kinds. You may also want to call Christophers for advice- the owner was very friendly and helpful when I purchased my scope. www.astronomics.com follow the link for binos and spotting scopes.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Nikon spotting scope 15-45X60, and it works very well. Good luck.