Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1 Shot - DONE!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default 1 Shot - DONE!

I recently purchased a Rem 700 SS Mountain rifle in .243 with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mmfor deer hunting this year. The Gunsmith at Gander Mountian bore sighted it for me. The first shot was exactly 3 inches high at 100 yards and perfect in terms of right / left. I adjusted it down four clicks and waited for the barrel to cool. Second shot was exactly two inches high at 100 yards - perfect! I then shot a 3 shot group under an inch.

That is the first time I've sighted a rifle with one shot. Has anyone else experience this with bore sighting? Very convenient with todays ammo prices.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
DM

Default RE: 1 Shot - DONE!

I've had them go deadnuts on, and notvery close when bore sighting... That's why i ALWAYS shoot my rifle to make sure, and that means taking it out and double and tripple checking it AFTER it's sighted in too...

DM
Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually had one that I mounted a scope on and never even bore sighted it. The day we were going to the wind was too bas so we put it up. A couple weeks later my buddy pulled it out and it was right on bullseye. He asked me if I bore sighted it and I told him no I just threw the scope on there. It was pure luck it happend to be just right.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bolt actions are fairly easy to boresight if you pay close attention to what you are doing. A rock-solid rest is absolutely essential. I once had a guy come out to the range who knew nothing whatsoever about guns or shooting, but he was a know-it-all. I asked him what he had, and he told me he thought it was a Winchester 30-09. Yep, a 30-09 I told him it was probably a 30-06, and he said "Whatever." I then asked him if he had cleaned the barrel out, and he said "The gun store told him it was ready to shoot." I aked if the gun had been sighted in. He said "It was laser sighted." I asked if they had shot it on paper for him, and he said, in a loud, smart tone, "IT WAS LASER SIGHTED!!!" I stopped questioning him right there, and set down to watch the fun. He did manage to get the gun loaded OK. After the first shot didn't even hit the target at 100 yds, he cursed and said something must be wrong here. No comment from me. Another shot... no hit. More cursing. I asked if I could be of help. He said, "Go ahead and try." When he tried to empty the magazine, he turned the gun upside down and shook it. After showing him how things work, I got his gun on my rests and gave it a good boresighting. Guess what?? First shot hit about 1.5 " from the bull. I then showed him how to continue to sight it in, and between the two of us, we got it done.
I guess the point of my rambling is to affirm what has already been said here. A good boresighting will nearly always put you on target, and sometimes will leave little or no adjustments to be made. It has worked that way for years....
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had that happen a couple of times. I always pull the bolt and barrel sight it and get it as close as I can before I ever pull the trigger. Last one was a 30-06 BDL with a Monarch scope. It kinda ruins the fun...lol. On the other hand theirs been some sight ins from hell also..but those usually came with a cheap or junk scope. Good glass definitely speeds up the process..lol.

PA Im still cracking up..lmao....I've seen a few of those at the range also.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I once had a guy come out to the range who knew nothing whatsoever about guns or shooting, but he was a know-it-all. I asked him what he had, and he told me he thought it was a Winchester 30-09. Yep, a 30-09 I told him it was probably a 30-06, and he said "Whatever." I then asked him if he had cleaned the barrel out, and he said "The gun store told him it was ready to shoot." I aked if the gun had been sighted in. He said "It was laser sighted." I asked if they had shot it on paper for him, and he said, in a loud, smart tone, "IT WAS LASER SIGHTED!!!" I stopped questioning him right there, and set down to watch the fun. He did manage to get the gun loaded OK.
Had one of those types come up to me at the range last year all exasperated. He had just bought a used 7mm Rem mag 700 BDL and he couldn't chamber a round after firing a few.I saw his problem and thought about letting him sit there for a while to stew because he was very unfriendly prior to asking for helpbut then thought better about it.He was trying to cram a 300 WM round into his 7 rem mag. Purchased a box of new 7mmRem mag ammo at the local Walmart. I think someone opened the boxes and switched rounds around myself and probably not a problem with the factory ammo. Would have made a great Fireworks display had he been able to close the bolt
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Collimate your scope, use a good rest and a scope that has repeatable adjustments mounted on a well made rifle and there is no excuse for not sighting in a gun easily. It took you two shots to sight your rifle in BTW and 3 to confirm it. The planets would have to be in perfect alignment for a gun to be sighted in with one shot and no further adjustments to be made and to then take that rifle on a big game hunt or varmint hunt.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had it happen a couple of times. I've also had it go the other way. I've had a sporting good store boresight the scope and had fits at the range. (Not even on paper at 50 yards) Now when I buy a gun or a scope and they offer to boresight it for me, and I tell them no thanks I got it handled. All of my bolt actions the old fashion way, but I have a laser for my pumps and semi's.

Congrats on the new rig!! It sounds bad to the bone!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I've had it happen a couple of times. I've also had it go the other way. I've had a sporting good store boresight the scope and had fits at the range. (Not even on paper at 50 yards) Now when I buy a gun or a scope and they offer to boresight it for me, and I tell them no thanks I got it handled.
Same here, except that I've NEVER had a boresighted rifle be on the paper! If I didn't know how to do it myself, I'd say I needed to find some better gun stores. Such as it is, I can get everythingright where I need itin 6-8 shots. Accordingly, I've never really understood the purpose of boresighting. Maybe that just points to the need to buy some pumps & semis!

FC