Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope fog

Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope fog

Are you guys afraid of putting Rain-x on your scope? Has anyone already done this?

Tom
Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Be careful with Rain X. Its good stuff for car. But it may damage the seals in the scope. I'm not sure what is in it.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

In addition to preventative products and thoughtful breathing practices, I recommend keeping a clean dry soft cloth handy to wipe fog off if it does happen. It may save you a lost shot, and you really don't want to use your finger or a dirty glove if you can help it.
Butler Creek scope caps are cheap/easy insurance...........
Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard, from others, that Rain-X and scopes should not be mixed. Never tried it myself. I have used a spray called Parker's Perfect that seemed to work o.k...not great but o.k.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im having flashbacks to last day of the 2005 buck season. Blue ball cold that morn and I see a 6 point trotting across the other side of the holler...first thing I do is get excited and breath on my scope..lol. Thankfully the deer wasnt moving fast and the fog left quickly and there was t'loin on the stove in the cabin that night.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 AM
DM

Use to be a common thing to have a scope fog up internally, especially "if" you hunted in freezeing/thawing weather. Just hunting all day out in freezing weather and then bringing your rifle into a warmer tent would sometimes do it.

I can remember leaving my rifle out in the cold for entire hunts, rather than take a chance on my scope fogging.

I was spending a lot of time hunting in weather like that, so i started testing my new scopes by putting them in the freezer for a day or two. Then i'd put them in a pan of warm water and look for bubbles rising. It i saw the teltale bubbles rising, i knew that scope wasn't going on my rifles, untill it took a trip back to the factory.

These days scopes are sealed up much better than the older scopes were. With modern O-rings ect., it's got a lot easier on the scope mfg-ures...

A friend wrote an article on Mueller scopes, and while he was doing so, i suggested he give it the freezer/warm water test. I told him i wouldn'twant one on a gun of mine, "if" it couldn't pass that test.He took the challenge and froze the scope. A day later it went into a pan of warm water, and no bubbles came up.

Use to be, cheap scope= a scope that fogged! Not any more...

DM