Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30.06 Ammo help needed.....

Old 03-10-2003, 05:21 PM

Default 30.06 Ammo help needed.....

I am shooting a Rem. mod 700 30.06....with my new Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 and I' m trying to figure out if I can by with factory ammo, or if I should look into reloading. I am only hunting whitetails and would like to be able to shoot at distances at or around 200 and under with good trajectory, KE and speed. My buddy has all the reloading stuff, so I wouldn' t have to buy the equipment. But I was just wondering if you guys think that' s it' s worth the time in research or if I can get factory loads that will compare. And also what grain should I look into whether reloading or buying factory ammo. Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30.06 Ammo help needed.....

I would try several brands and styles of 150 grain loads over the counter. You just may find one that your gun loves. The weight is up to you but most 150 grain factory loads will do a fine job on whitetails. Especially at 200 yards or closer.
That said, you will probably be able to get your best accuracy loads from your own handloads.........but it will take a little time and effort to find the one best for your barrel.
If you are looking for very good accuracy you will probably be able to find it over the counter. Try several. If you are looking for remarkable accuracy you will probably find it from handloading......but not necessarilly.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

i like federal nosler balistice tips in 165 gr or when i can reload i find a hollowpoint boat tail...i used sierra gamekings this year...also in 165grs...but i like explosive devistating bullets...i hunt close range and the woods are crowded...i like as much damage to be done as possible to stop the deer as fast as i can so noone else shoots it and takes it....the nosler is supposed to have good trajectory and less drop than some bullets because of the design for long range but thats just what ive read.....boat tails are supposed to be good long range bullets too becuase of the boat tail.....
Old 03-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to get into real accuracy, get into handloading. My handloads are so much better than factory loads it' s incomparable. I first started handloading for a hobbie and to save some money, but now I am in it for hobbie and accuracy. There is a certian pride when I find a load that produces tiny groups, or when you take an animal with your hand tailored loads. I have never seen a factory load which has shot better than my handloads. Good luck. [8D]
Old 03-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any factory 30-06 load will have enough energy for whitetail deer out to and a bit beyond 500 yards. As far a trajectory goes if zeroed in at 200 yards there will be less than one inch difference between a 125 grain and a 180 grain spitzer type bullet out to about 275 yards. My advice would be, atleast for the short term, try a few different factory loads and see if one will shoot in your rifle. Believe it or not the cheap regular old bullets will alot of times provide outstanding accuracy and are more than sufficent for deer size animals and bigger. You don' t need a " premium bullet" for deer unless you just find it shoots well in your rifle. My .270 will shoot 130 grain Remington core lokts inside 3/4" all day long and they only cost $10 a box.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 AM

i would go with the factory ammo, like said before look at some of the plain vanilla ammo. My 06 loves 180 grain corelocks, not to say that you need 180 grain bullets but thats what my rifle likes, and thats what I use. good luck and happy hunting. DAKOTA NUT 5.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:07 AM

i like premium bullets myself. i only use cheap rem core-lokt' s for target practice and breaking in gun.

depending on how far you are gonna shoot. i perfer the 165gr. seirra gameking BTSP. makes nice holes under close shots and stays together. shot a 5 point at 30yds with it this year.
if you are gonna use a cheap bullet like win power points or rem core-lokt' s go with the 180gr. for a better hold.
if your shots are up close and under high velocities go with a delayed expansion bullet like the win failsafe, nosler partition, swift-A-frame etc.

but if you have a buddy that reloads that sounds like a good way to get into it .
Old 03-11-2003, 06:33 AM

I appreciate all of your help guys, but if I' m going to stick to factory ammo.....how do I try a bunch of different kinds of ammo without spending a bunch of $$ only to then have a bunch of extra ammo laying around the house that doesn' t shoot well out of my gun??? I do agree that I must try many different types of ammo.....no different than finding out what kind of turkey load gets a better pattern out of MY shotgun. But again, how do I go about it without spending all that $$ on ammo that I might never use again?? Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 08:31 AM

Stump,
Sounds like you don' t do a whole lot of off season shooting so buying factory ammo is the way to go. You do not need exceptional accuracy for 200 yard shots, 1 1/2 inch groups at 100yards is acceptable.
Start with bullets that are generally know to have good accuracy. You do not need controlled expansion bullets.
I would start with 165 grain Sierra HPBT. The chances are that load will give you the accuracy you will need and all the performance required as well.
If by some chance you are not satisfied with them try the 165 Nosler ballistic tip.
You might try the Hornady light magnums as well, Hornady makes a good accurate bullet and you will get a little more velocity with the light magnum, which you do not really need for 200yard deer hunting.
I would be very surprised if one of them does not give you acceptable accuracy in your rifle. Thats all you need, you are good to go.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most accurate bullets i found when i was shooting factory bullets were the Hornady 150grn Spire Point and the 150grn SST. They both shot very well from my Remington, just not as good as my handloads!

Quick Reply: 30.06 Ammo help needed.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.