Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

44 mag revolver - Taurus or Redhawk?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Spike

Default 44 mag revolver - Taurus or Redhawk?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at used 44 revolvers - you guys have a preference between Taurus or Ruger Redhawk? Any known problems with either? Does one seem to soak up recoil better than the other?

Looking at hunting length barrels(7.5"-9.5"), possibly a scope or hologram site, for hunting deer.

Thanks all.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 44 mag revolver - Taurus or Redhawk?

Taurus had problems years ago but IMO they have most quality issues resolved and produce a reliable handgun. That being said however, I would still prefer the Ruger Redhawk. My firend has one in the 7.5" barrel and has the V-notch/front bead sight configuration. That is definately the sight configuration I would recommend. If you decide to mount a scope on it, you may want to consider the Multi reticle sight from Cabelas. I have one mounted on my S&W 29 for years and it is holding up very well. I liked it so much that I got another and put it on my Ruger Mini-14 Ranch rifle.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If accuracy and a quality triggeris your concern then you better look at a S&W. If built like a tank durability is what you want then buy a Ruger. I will not give my opinion about Taurus. My opinion on Taurus usually starts an argument. Tom.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:36 PM

I have a Taurus and love it. I wouldnt mind having a Ruger though. The grips on the Ruger dont feel right to me and the Taurus feel great when i hold it. Ive never had any probs with mine and it is very accurate.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My pick was a ruger redhawk-NOT super redhawk. The lockwork for double action is superior on redhawk,and the scope rings are positioned further back making it easier to acchive full field of view in scope as well as keeping the front lens of scope farther away from muzzle gases.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

If accuracy and a quality triggeris your concern then you better look at a S&W. If built like a tank durability is what you want then buy a Ruger. I will not give my opinion about Taurus. My opinion on Taurus usually starts an argument. Tom.
X2......My Smith & Wesson 44 Mag is one of the few guns I will never part with.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think most of the revolvers you can pick are pretty darn good.
It's a feel thing and I happen to have choosen the Ruger for the smaller grip as it fits my hands well.
I also choose a 10" barrel as I bought it for hunting and this makes it more accurate.
I can comfortably hit a pie plate free hand @ 40 yards and with a rest I'll go around 75 yards.
I have a S&W .38 special and love that too, it's all how it feels to you???!
Another nice pistola I've used in the past is the Colt Anaconda, if your taking suggestions?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Taurus vs. Ruger, no comparison! RSRH hands down!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger Super Red Hawk. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

I'd have to go with the Redhawk

Quick Reply: 44 mag revolver - Taurus or Redhawk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.