Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

long range shots?

Old 03-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: long range shots?

Duffy, I was not looking at taking a long shot that particular morning, bu like I said conditions were absolutely perfect and the shot did present itself. The conditions were, about 40 for temp (late Oct. down east here in NC), zero wind vaule, I had set up a ground blind the week before on the edge of the field and woodline, and had placed a portable shooting bench in the blind. I had parked my truck next to the blind and walked the the fields with my laser range finder to laser back to my truck for ranges, and set up range flags on the drainage ditches that intersection the field at 75-90 yds intervals.

That morning when the 6 pointer came out along with about a dozen does and a couple smaller bucks to feed in the cut corn field, I watched them thru my M-49 spot scope for atleast half an hour. I was not only wathcing the deer, but I was watching for any sign of wind, mirage, etc, that might have an impact on the shoot. I also was watching the deers behavoir. Were they spooky or antsy, or were they somewhat relaxed and comfortable. It been my experience that a spooy or spooked deer will run a good ways after being hit, even with a 2x lung or heart shot, as compared to an relaxed or unaware deer. Anyway, the longer I watched the buck the more I knew I could make the shot. I had walked the field and had set range flags out to 1,200 yds. That morning, I was shooting off the portable bench and had my Wtchita rest set up and was just like shooting off the bench back at the range. The buck was standing still, perfectly broadside, and with his head down feeding.

The rifle I was shooting that morning was my 1,000yd competition gun. It is a .257 B&B Mag. My match load is also my hunting load and is good for deer, groundhogs, and 1,000yd comp. shooting. It pushes a 100gr at Nosler ballistic tip ou the muzzle 4,022 FPS and clusters them into 1/8-1/4" groups at 100yds. Once I had the range doped out, it was just a matter of making the correct scope adjustment (clicks of " up" ) and hold the dot where I wanted the bullet to hit.

At the point of impact it was still travling 1,700 FPS and had about 650 FPE. I know the rough rule of 1,000 FPE. Anyway at the moment of impact, it almost knock him off his feet. It spun him from 90 degree broadside to 45 and leaned him over. It took a second or two for him to gather himself back up and he started to trot toward the woodline, but he fell after going about 75yds, still about 50-60yds shy of the woodline. I watched it all thru the Premier Recticle modified Leupold 8.5x25 scope. I had my father in the blind with me and later that morning another buddy help me retreive the deer. We drove to it while my father stayed a tthe blind with the laser finders. Once we found were the buck was standing at the shoot, I parked my truck there so my father could laser the range, while me and my buddy drug the buck out. The range was 1,056yds.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:28 AM

The longest shot I ever took was this past fall at a whitetail doe. The rangefinder said she was 264 yards away. I only took the shot because I had a solid rest to shoot from. The deer went right down with one shot from my .308
Old 03-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am shotgun only and my longest shot was right at 90 yards. I would not take that shot again, now that I know better I do not shoot over 60 yards. I did kill the buck that I shot at 90 yards but it was a long blood trail.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Vandenburg Air Force Base in California. 392 yard head shot on a 250lb hog. Rem 300 ultra mag.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:04 PM

840 yds on Antelope.
960 yds on coyote
I have video of cow elk killed at 1074, coyote at 1078, lots of stuff in the 500-800 range.

We are starting a new television show and I would like some input from other hunters as whether we should air some of this footage. All are one shot kill with many dropping to the shot.

All the distances were measured with laser range finders so I am either lying or telling the truth. No chance of mistaken distances.

Tell me what you think
Old 03-14-2003, 06:42 PM

John B,

500 to 1100 yards -- wow!

Congrats on your talent. Those are truly impressive stats ESPECIALLY if they tend toward one shot kills since I imagine getting a second shot in while the critter is running would be a little difficult at 800 yards.

If what you say is just as it reads I' d say you are a prodigy with a rifle. When one has innate talent it is hard to personally understand why the rest of mankind don' t have it or can' t easily develop it. It' s the curse of possessing a talent that few will attain.

The part that worries me most about a TV show would be that regardless how much you conditioned it on rifle, practice, cartridge, practice, scope, and degree of practice required, related ethics, practice, etc, etc, etc is that there are too many sniper " wannabes" out there that aren' t prodigies (and never will be) and won' t practice and won' t spend for the equipment and are going to go out there with what they got (which is usually little more than daddy' s deer rifle) and try to emulate what you are capable of when there isn' t a chance in hell they can ever match up. In the mean time, who pays the price? Well first the game and then indirectly -- all of us.

I catch plenty of flak for using " plenty big" magnums since people automatically assume if you use that much power then you must like to shoot long. I love the result of a heavy magnum at ranges you would call " up close and personal" (100 to 250 yards).

How about a show on how to hunt, and how to stalk, and how to ambush game as close as possible instead as far as possible.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I salute your talent if it is as stated, but I can just hear the coyotes are licking their chops!

EKM
Old 03-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shotgun with slug,110 yds.