Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

long range shots?

Old 03-11-2003, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: long range shots?

By the Leica laser range finder 1,056 yards on a nice 6 pointer. He made it about 75-90 yards before going down for good. It was a low lung and high heart shot. Conditions were perfect, the rest was rock steady, the range was more or less known, the rifle was very much up to the job, and so was I.

P.S. I have not attempted another shot that far on a deer since then, but I have killed several in the 500-600 yard range over the last few years.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

The longest was 377 yards (laser rangefinder) on a 4x4 mule deer buck. The longest on elk was a 5-pt bull at 325 yards. Neither animal took another step after being hit by a 150gr Nosler Partition from my .270 Weatherby Magnum. [X(]
Old 03-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

My longest was a whitetail at 434 yards measured with a laser rangefinder.With ideal conditions I would consider shooting out to 500 yards.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:44 PM

longest shot ever was 486yds with 300 ultramag next was 438yd with 30-06 both at white tail deer. I feel comfortable out to 500 and father. But i shoot alot and know my rifles and dont recommend this unless your willing to put in the pratice time.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

1SHOT_1 KILL;
1,056 yards!!!! Are you sure you haven' t misplaced a decimal some where?

I would never come right out and say Bull Ship to a fellow hunter but I do smell somthing odd.

It would not be impossible to make a shot (on a live animal) of 1,000 yds. and it would not be impossible for me to get a date with Miss America. [:-] I would prefer to dream about the later.

Robin
Old 03-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Longest on a deer was 383yrds with my .30-06, broke the near shoulder and shredded the heart. Longest I' d consider would be 500yrds, just because I know what that rifle is capable of. Laser measured

Longest on a coyote was 547yrds, with the same rifle, dbl lung and heart shot, he never moved, just fell. That' s probably the farthest I' d ever shoot again, just because I didn' t really want to loose that one, but my buddies were givin me $hit, sayin that I was afraid to reach out past 50yrds cuz then they' d know they could out shoot me, riiiiight, so I had to prove them wrong. Also laser and objective measured.

If I really had to, or really wanted to, I' d probably trust my .30-06 as well as my .45-70 well out beyond 500yrds, probably cut it off at 600yrds, just because I can shoot it so well out there and the bullet' s so heavy, I' ve gotten a coyote at 461yrds with it, and that was a cake shoot, I' ve shot it at distances all the way out to 800yrds. If I get a .458Lott Ruger M77 or a Rem 700 Senderosa .300win mag for my birthday this year, that' d take me into a whole new world of reaching out.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

DUffy, I do have 2 witnesses. That particular morning, I was using my 1,000 yd match rifle. As I said, conditions were absolutely perfect, or I would have never comtemplated taking the shot. I made sure I knew the range, because I had set small range flags on the drainage ditch banks. The shot was across cut corn fields, with these drainage ditchs cut thru them. I had set these flags out a few days prior tot he hunt, lasered the ranges from each flag to the blind, and recorded them. I had shoot this rifle for many years, and I know it' s and my, capabilites and limitations. The shoot was like placing a round in the X ring at 1,000yds.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

I witness a shot at an 8 point lazered at 610 yards, dropped dead, it was a hell of a shot with a 7mm STW,
My 7 mag under perfect conditions, 500 Yards
its not the gun......it is the shooter.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

1SHOT _1KILL;
Thanks for explaining the situation. It was a rare one I' m sure you will admit. Most hunters (99.9%) should not even think about attempting such a shot. You said a very KEY thing, " conditions were absolutely perfect" . When ever a hunter takes any shot he should feel that conditions are absolutely perfect to attempt that shot. Then wounded animals would be a very rare thing.

My longest shot was on a walking coyote at 480 paces (no range finders in those days). I was using a .264 win. mag. with my scope turned up to 9 power. The fact that he was walking made the shot extra tricky (and the success some what lucky). I had the horizontal wire on his nose and moved the vertical just ahead of his nose as I squeesed. Hit him in the chest.

I once shot a white-tailed buck with my .58 cal. muzzleloader at what I paced to be 213 paces. I had been shooting that gun quite a lot that year but there was probably more good luck than good management on that shot.

Robin

Quick Reply: long range shots?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.