Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What gun should I get?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What gun should I get?

I'm 14 right now, and I'm looking to buy my own gun for deer hunting, because I'd like to use my own instead of my dad's. It can't be too expensive, but it has to be a good dependable rifle that will last me a long time.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What gun should I get?

Stevens 270
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Hmmm,
Wisconsin, aye? Normally I would say a young man's first three long guns need to be a 22LR, a 12 gauge and a 30-06. Once you go east of the Mississippi where there is no horizon and deer hunting is crawling thru the brush they seem to like their short 30-30's.

So what kind of hunting is it going to be? Something with a little range to it or closet hunting? I went with a 270 when I was 14 and always wished I had the 30-06. (My mentor had a 270 so I imitated him.)

I don't know how ballsy you are, or what riflemanship training you have had insofar as your ability to manage even limited recoil, no mention of what your dad's rifle is.

The Savage 110 (now Stevens) is okay or a used 700 maybe even better.
If going with a lever gun for a 30-30, then Marlin over Winchester.

12 ga, 22LR, 30-06. 30-06 is more than enough for deer, but practically unmatched for versatility, plus for a young'un the cost of ammo is always a factor.... hard to go wrong with 30-06.

Kinda hard to give advise with such limited input.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

On a budget I would go with a Savage package deal....I also saw an add last night...something about the weatherbys being $399.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Savages are good inexpensive rifles from what i have expererences & heard etc.

NEF/ H&R sellsa prettyinexpensive single shot rifle that come in calibers/cartrides like 45.70 30.06 .270. 280. 243, etc & you can buy extra barrels for it in( that you switch overto on the same frame) various otherrifle calibers , plus shotgun & pistol; cartridhes like .44 & 357 mag barrels.

(
Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: EKM

Hmmm,
Wisconsin, aye? Normally I would say a young man's first three long guns need to be a 22LR, a 12 gauge and a 30-06. Once you go east of the Mississippi where there is no horizon and deer hunting is crawling thru the brush they seem to like their short 30-30's.

So what kind of hunting is it going to be? Something with a little range to it or closet hunting? I went with a 270 when I was 14 and always wished I had the 30-06. (My mentor had a 270 so I imitated him.)

I don't know how ballsy you are, or what riflemanship training you have had insofar as your ability to manage even limited recoil, no mention of what your dad's rifle is.

12 ga, 22LR, 30-06. 30-06 is more than enough for deer, but practically unmatched for versatility, plus for a young'un the cost of ammo is always a factor.... hard to go wrong with 30-06.

+1.

Also, The more I handle new guns, the more I appreciate what's already in my safe. I'd suggest checking out used guns. You'll save some $$$, and if you find one that's been cared-for, it will still last you a lifetime.

Any cartridge from .243 on up will serve you well.

FC
Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 AM

I'd look for a used Remington 700 in .243 or larger were I 14 years oldagain and wanting a good deer rifle.

Dependable, affordable, and easy to upgrade upon later............
Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: EKM

Hmmm,

As far as range goes, it's as close/far as the deer will get! I'm using a 30.06. As you said, it is a great gun. It would be nice to actually own my own gun.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I could go back to 14, I'd go to a gun store and pick up a 8 X 57 in a VZ-24 for around $175 and every year spend a few bucks on it.....

first year have it drilled and tapped....................$65
second year add a new bolt handle.....................$75
third year add a new safety and Timney trigger.....$75
the following year add a new barrel ....................$250
etc......

Ya keep this up and sooner or later you'll have a grand in it and you'll have a really swell rifle and you'll have a shooting rifle all the time and you'll still have your original investment. All your buddies will still be trading their savage for something else.....they will have spent the same money and still have a POS rifle!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:46 PM

first gun, I'd get a Mossbreg ATR 100... They are available in a youth model too, but if you are too big for a youth model, you can get a regular size for about 250.00 new. Thats hard to beat. I bought one in a .270 last year as a gift for someone, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the gun, solid and shoots true. It is available in several different cal's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.