Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Converting bolt action to 280AI...

Old 08-12-2008, 12:44 PM

Default RE: Converting bolt action to 280AI...

ORIGINAL: trailer

ORIGINAL: Dozen Arrows

what does the AI mean?
AI = Ackley Improved. The cartridge of the 280 AI is basically the same as the 280 Rem. except the shoulder is formed more at and angle to increase powder charge for more velocity and extend life of brass for reloading...
Ah, is this a fact that it can do this? If so, this would be better then buying a Rem Mag for cheapness of rounds, correct? How does it performed compared to the brother Magnum?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM

I really don’t need the 280 AI but it’s a project I’d like to do so the 7 mm R. M. is out of the question. My requirement s are also to have a long action. I have no long action rifles and it’s time to add one to my collection. I know I may sound stubborn but I know what I want. Thanks guys for all the feedback so far...
Don't let 'em bother you trailer. Some of these guys around here can't take a man for hisword and simplyanswer his question without trying to change his mind and educate him. I guess to themmost people are just plain dumbazzes and need guidance to a proper direction....

You want a 280AI there's nothing wrong with it, build it.......

Source a decent .473 bolt facelong action,source a quality barrel, and find a 'smith that'll do the quality work at a reasonable price. Make sure you use one that has a lot of experience in Ackley conversions.

Fireform some brassand rock on.....

I for one appreciate the gains of AI'ing a chamber, if only justfor the extended case life.

I only wish that my last rebarrel was 30-06AI instead of doing the vanilla version..........
Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't let 'em bother you trailer. Some of these guys around here can't take a man for hisword and simplyanswer his question without trying to change his mind and educate him. I guess to themmost people are just plain dumbazzes and need guidance to a proper direction....
Hey Steelhead aren't you the Jackass that throws a perfectly good custom rifle onto a gravel bank to make sure the barrel is broken in ?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ah, is this a fact that it can do this? If so, this would be better then buying a Rem Mag for cheapness of rounds, correct? How does it performed compared to the brother Magnum
Yes put it in a 26" custom tube and it will still be short of a 7 rem mag. I don't know about most of these guys but I would rather be loading and shooting then making brass and wasting a shot blowing out a case . They must have more time on their hands
Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Too funny..........
Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I don't know about most of these guys but I would rather be loading and shooting then making brass and wasting a shot blowing out a case . They must have more time on their hands
Well Nosler is started to offer 280 AI brass as per link www.nosler.com/?p=9&bullet=13 ...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really don’t need the 280 AI but it’s a project I’d like to do so the 7 mm R. M. is out of the question. My requirement s are also to have a long action. I have no long action rifles and it’s time to add one to my collection. I know I may sound stubborn but I know what I want. Thanks guys for all the feedback so far...
I hear ya! A .280 AI is my next project. Less recoil/muzzle blast then a 7mm Rem Mag, and pretty much the same velocity/energy. With factory brass being made, whats not to like? A lot of guys here tried to talk me out of my .243 AI, but I'm super happy with it, and you will also be happy with a .280 AI.

I will also recommend a Broughton 5c barrel, extremely FAST!! It might exceed a 7mm Rem Mag...
Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, trailer.... If you want to AI a 280, then by golly, do it!! We all know how to read ballistics charts. If you want something different than the 7 Mag, that is entirely your option and the way to go. I've been working with my 243 AI, and I really enjoy the process. The plus on your end, is as you said, you can buy new 280 AI casings. I gotta make mine.
I'm all for what you want to do. Just get youself a standard LA with the .473 bolt face and have at it. I kinda perfer the 700 actions, but that's just me...
You might want to look at trying to pick up a good used 700 BDL for a donor. You get the action and all the bottom metal with it... A good custom barrel installed and everything trued up will get you a long way down the road.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, there’s just something sexy about that 280 AI and I can’t explain it. I also like the fact that there’s reloading manuals that list the 280 AI. Just one less thing to worry about. As for the rifle , I was interested in a Mauser action but if a good Rem 700 comes up at a good price then that just might be the way to go. This will be my next years project if it all goes according to plan...[8D]
Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .280 Rem AI is now a standard cartridge and is SAAMI registered through Nosler who makes brass for it.

All in all it's a fine cartridge and if you want one then you should get one. Just remember that in actual hunting performance it will not do anything the 7mm-08 or .280 Rem won't do nor anything that the 7mm Magnum won't do a tiny bit better.

There is just one thing.....when you want to trade it in the resale value will be substantially less.....no one wants them!

Fine cartridge.....just know what you're doing!

Quick Reply: Converting bolt action to 280AI...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.