Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug choices...

Old 08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default slug choices...

looking for some opinions from real users...

i have a mossberg 500 and a brand new cantaliever slug barrel...i dont think i'll get much time to bow hunt, and maybe not even get time to rifle hunt...

got a 3x9x40 leupold vari x II on my mauser....

ive never fired a round from the slug barrel...

thinking if i do not get my buck in bow season and do get time to rifle hunt, it would be a change of pace to take the slug gun to the woods...scope aughta work out alright...not ideal but i dont see why it wouldnt work..?

my deer shots are almost always under 50yds...only took a few at 50-150yds and i didnt HAVE to take those shots...

so some slugs and i should be shootin...

what are the sabot slug of choice?? i want holes, knock down power(big expansion) and accuracy...and dont wanna pay 10$ a shell...

figure i can sight in with some el cheapos and get the scope close, get used to shooting the setup etc..then fine tune with the good slugs and go huntin....recomendations?? thanx guys

oh ya....2 3/4" or 3"??
Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Default RE: slug choices...

Been slugin deer here in Iowa for 20 years. Have gone through a rash of guns, slugs and scoped. My son 6'4'' 250 lbs still shoots the 870 20 gauge LW I got him when he was 15. Hastings barrel with open sights, killer combo. I have shot Mossbergs Rem 1187's and my best gun is a Norinco (that's what I said) 870 knock off with ghost ring sights. Smooth bore shoots Federal Accuball Loads into 1 ragged hole at 50 yards, killed a nice standing 8 pointer last year in the freezing rain at 80 paces off hand. It shoots better than my sons set up at 9.50 fo 5 and I pay 3.50 plus it's a 12 gauge. I prefer a smooth bore with a good fitting slug. Federals have always done the job but these Accu ball loads are scary accurate. Sell the rifle barrel and get a smoothy, at your range you don't need the added cost of sabot's. I have even cast and loaded my own with Lymen sabots for 20 and 12 gauge, so I know what works. Of our little hunting group here in Iowa my son and I kill the lions share, not because of fancy equipment, because we practice with what works. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM

The scope will be fine on that setup. I have a Bushnell 3x-9x-40 scope on my slug barrel for my Mossberg 835. Im shooting Federal Barnes Expanders. They are great rounds. Im getting 1.75"-2" groups at 100 yards with them. Theya re a little pricy but i just stock up when i find them on sale. I think i payed $10.50 a box last time.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you're thinking fine.

I have a set-up like that. Older Mossy combo that I bought a Remington canti/scope combo for.

Basic sight in went fine with $3/box stuff and it shoots great with BuckHammers.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

My dad gets great accuracy out of his Mossberg 500 (rifled barrel)with the Hornady SST's. He tried the remmington copper sabots and they were all over the map.

Bob
Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Here in central Iowa, most of my shots are in the 50-70yd range, and for that I prefer a red dot. I have cantilever rifled slug guns and have a Bushnell Holosight on one and a Bushnell multi-reticle red/green dot on the other. They are great for fast acquisition, both eyes open shooting, yet at 100yds, where the red dot is, the slug goes. I sight in with Brenneke KO Sabots. (I bought 10 boxes from Wholesale Hunter a couple years ago for like $3 a box.) Then I put 2-3 rounds each at 50 and 100yds of my hunting rounds. At 50 yds, the Brenneke KO sabots will drop/flop a deer, but since I want that 100+yd option, I hunt with either Federal Barnes Expanders or Hornady SST's. I may try the new Remington Accu-tips this year.

http://www.remington.com/products/am...sabot_slug.asp

Anyone out there try these yet?