Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-06 for brown bear

Old 03-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2003, 10:06 AM

Default RE: 30-06 for brown bear

Fellows I really appreciate all of the responses to this question. After my wife and I read the responses, we have decided that a new rifle may in order here. I am leaning toward the 338win mag. At the moment the 06 is the largest rifle that I own,which by the way I shoot well because I have had the rifle for years. I have taken alot of hogs, deer, black bear, and unwanted critters. So I feel comfortable with it. And no it is not a mod 710.Could anyone give advise to what loads would be sufficent with the 338. I will be looking forward to your responses.THANK YOU DAKOTA NUT.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:38 AM

Dakota,

You' ll like the 338WinMag. I have two of them. Lots of power without bad recoil (make sure the gun stock fits you and that your thumb is AWAY from your nose and you' ll be fine). If you get a chance, then take your " fav" 30-06 with you and go to a place like Cabelas, have them lay out 4,5,6,7 338' s for you. Compare them to your " fav" . Throw them up to your shoulder with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes are you looking right down the sites? Which feeeeels best? Have them take a fish scale to the trigger to measure trigger pull on your " fav" and then on the others. Some otherwise good rifles come new out of box with trigger pulls of 8-10 pounds when they should be 3 to 4 pounds - remember cold fingers could be a fact of life. Some triggers are easily adjustable and others require work by a gunsmith. If you are going for the spring hunt then I' m betting you don' t have much time to get ready.

Premium Ammo, 250 grain noslers or Bear Claw Trophy Bonded (Federal) - its expensive but do your final sight in with the stuff you' re going to kill with. If you clean the rifle before arriving to hunt take a " fowling" shot to recreate your sight-in conditions before you go hunting.

Scope: Assuming it will be a variable, make sure the " low" setting is no bigger than 2 or 3 so you can " find him in the scope" if things get up close and personal. African hunters Dangerous Game Rifles (DGR' s) if scoped at all are commonly 1.5 x 5 for this very reason. North American hunters as a whole would be loathe to go with less than a 2x7 (fine) -- 3x9 (okay). However, going for a 6x18 would be a very poor choice. Your guide isn' t going to let you take that long of a shot anyway. If your scope has a wide range of eye relief you will be able to install it with extra room between it and your brow (scope eye). On a 338 Win Mag use " loctite" on the mounting screws - they can shoot loose - bad. Go Leupold if you can.

Sight In: Magnums some times sour the honey moon at the benchrest during the sight in process -- worst place in the world to get beat up and develop a flinch. If you aren' t going to have the whole summer to ease into things, then CHEAT -- fold up an old padded gun case and put it between your shoulder and the butt until you get it sighted in. When you find your brownie don' t worry you won' t feel any recoil at all.

Rain: Alaska is notorious for being wet, wet, wet and muddy - consider synthetic stock (and maybe stainless?) and don' t forget the see through, flip up scope caps -- for $20 they are priceless. GOOD, QUIET rain gear (top and bottom) plus thin neoprene gloves (cheap) are handy if your hands are going too be wet anyway.

Love to see folks tackle something besides deer and move up to some major adventure -- good for you! Pack your mental toughness and go get ' em! Mrs. Dakota, thanks for your support -- good idea on the rifle!

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 03-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

dakota nut 5, I have no doubt that under the proper circumstances a well placed round from a 30-06 would do the trick! However, it looks like you are already considering what I was going to suggest! This is the perfect time to buy a new rifle!! I think a 338 win mag or maybe the ultra mag would fit the bill perfectly! Let us know what you do!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:58 PM

The 338 Win. Mag. will fit the bill just perfectly. I would try some 250 grain Federal Nosler Partitions. Perfect setup right there.

Also, I laughed when I read about using 180 Ballistic Tips out of the 30-06! Too funny.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a 340 Wby. Mag. using Weatherby 225 gr. Barnes XFB, Federal 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, or Weatherby 250 gr. Nosler Partition. If you go with the 338 Win. Mag use Federal 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw HE, PMC 225 gr. Barnes XFB, Rem. 225 gr. Swift A-Frame, Win. 230 gr. Fail Safe, Federal 250 gr. Nosler Partition HE. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Loads for big bad brownies in the .338 Win Mag will include the same recommendations as the .30-06. Find a good bullet first. I strongly suggest one of the bonded bullets in 225 grain or 250 grain style. Hornday' s round nose bullets however are a well kept secret.....they are a fabulous bullet in performance. All in all I like the Swift A-frames for the task.
Loads for 225 grain bullets might look like 71.0 grains of H-4350 to get 2800' /sec. Loads for 250 grain bullets might look like 74.0 grains of RL-19 to get 2700' /sec

Either way, the .338 is one fine big game gun and will serve you well elk hunting as well.....GREAT CHOISE
Old 03-09-2003, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

.338 is a great choice. Wish I had one of those!
I think you' ll be very pleased with a 338, it' s much better on bears than the 30-06.

A little off the subject, but I thought they made the 180grain nosler partition with Elk, Moose, And grizzly in mind? That' s what they say anyway.

Old 03-09-2003, 04:51 AM

Another quick note. Federal offers factory Nosler Partition High Energy 250 grain bullets at 2800 fps and 4350 fp of energy out of the muzzle for the 338. My 338 groups those bullets well and I plan on using that setup for spring brown & black bear soon.

Good luck on the hunt!

Quick Reply: 30-06 for brown bear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.