Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Reminginton Varmit Trigger Question?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reminginton Varmit Trigger Question?

I just got a Remington 700 SPS Varmit 22.250. The trigger is the nastiest trigger I've ever felt from the factory. I took it to Gander Mountain yesterday and dropped it off for a trigger job. The smith was not there and the guy that wrote my ticket asked me if it was a Mark X trigger.(I think) He said if it was a Mark X that a trigger job was probably not possible. I don't understand that. I have had trigger jobs on 2 other 700's and they came out great. (3lbs, no creep) The smith will not be in until tomorrow.

Question 1. Did this guy know what he was talking about?

Question 2. If a trigger job is not going to help, what aftermarket trigger would you recommend? This is going to be my coyote gun and I want it to shoot pretty good.

Thanks Bryan
Old 08-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reminginton Varmit Trigger Question?

I'm pretty sure the SPS has the same trigger as the VLS which is fully adjustable. I redid the trigger on my VLS last year in under an hour. I don't think you will have any problems getting the trigger adjusted....enjoy the gun!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

The new "X Mark Pro" is silver in color and has a smooth face, the older Remington triggers are black in color and are serrated...that's how you can tell the difference. There are stillolder model guns with the old style trigger out there, but all currently made 700's have the "X" trigger. As I understand it both should be to be altered by a gunsmith, maybe the the newer trigger has to be adjusted by a Remington certified smith to keep the warranty though. The new style triggers I have pulled are fairly crisp but still heavy on the poundage for my taste. I would shoot Remington an e-mail and inquire about it.

PS, if you want the very best in an aftermarket trigger, get a Jewell and be done with it.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

They should be able to do adjustments, weather or not they do, thats the question. I have a regular Rem 700ADL and have adjusted the trigger to 3.8 lbs. As far as i know, all the 'x-mark pro' triggers are user adjustable.

"The X-MARK PRO trigger is 100% adjustable for pull weight by a factory authorized repair center and is designed to accommodate all products in the Model 700 and Model Seven™ families." (from www.remington.com)
Old 08-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

its as easily adjustable as the original 700 trigger. the guy was full of bs, typical for a person working behind the counter at a sporting goods retail center. not all of the original 700 triggers were black though, many of the stainless models had silver/posished/plated triggers.