Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Christensen Arms

Old 03-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Christensen Arms

I would love one of these. Anyone have one? Good? Bad? Worth the $$?

http://www.christensenarms.com/

Old 03-07-2003, 05:51 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Christensen Arms

My gunsmith is a huge fan of these guns. He is trying to talk me into sending out one of my heavy bull barrels to have it cut down and carbon wrapped. I have seen some tack drivers put out by them. Only downfall is repeated firing. These barrels don' t take the heat as well and have to let them cool down between shots. Worth the money? I don' t know. I think if I want an ultra light for that price, I would go with Ultra Light Firearms in Morgantown, WV for $2400 first. Lighter, just as accurate and traditional style. No carbon barrels.

Old 03-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are not the most aesthetically pleasing barrels out there but they do work. Big country I was under the impression they used Shilen blanks that were turned down to soda straw diameter... I didn' t think they would turn down a regular production barrel. Cost is a little high about 1200 bucks last time I checked but they supposedly shoot very well. I don' t see where there would be a heating problem with them since there isn' t as much metal mass to retain the heat but hey what the heck do I know. There are 2 of them at 2 separate gunshops in my area and the rifles look like 12lbs but balance very well and probably weigh in the 8 lb range(Both Senderos someone converted).
Old 03-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I built my " dream gun" from there site but the only thing missing is the $3000...
Old 03-07-2003, 10:00 AM

LOL me too Pa!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:30 AM
bigcountry

Oldelkhunter, not really sure. My gunsmith said they do it. Your right about the shelen they build. As far as the heat, the extra metal you have on a bull barrel don' t just make it more rigid, but acts like a heat sink to take the heat away from your bore, which is important. With these barrels, you don' t have the heat assorping material that metal is to absorb heat. So it stays with your barrel. Alot of people have a hard time understanding this. They think metal actually insulates barrels causing them to heat up more, but actually, its a better conductor of heat and energy than air. Whereas there barrels wrappers actually insulates the barrel and causes it to heat up.

Old 03-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see what you mean about heat buidup. The guns look like they should be pretty light and accurate. I' m looking for one in 300 UM built on the browning action (removable mag.) and cost is around $1,495 last time I checked. You can get a custom built one with a guarenteed sub-MOA for $2,995 but that' s a bit rich for me. Heck, $1,500 is too rich for me but if I can sell my old gun and scope for $700 that would be half way there. Just curious if the standard rifle is pretty accurate and fairly light. Might be better off just getting a Sendero if they have one with a removeable box magazine.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

OldElkHunter, et. al.

They will turn your barrel on your rifle. It is somethign like $500. THought about having it done, but then just bought a tikka .300 win mag. (have not shot it yet though)