Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Managed-Recoil ??'s

Old 07-15-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Managed-Recoil ??'s

I know this forumis forguns . . ., but what do you all think or hear about Remington's "Managed-Recoil " ammo?

In particular, the .300 Win Mag?

Just "to the point" responses please . . . no preaching.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Managed-Recoil ??'s

I went out and sighted in my 7mm Rem Mag using the MR rounds last weekend. It's what I plan to use for deer hunting this fall. Accuracy was fair. Certainly good enough for the 100 yard shots I'm likely to see. Haven't actually tried them on live targets yet, but, I don't see any reason why they won't perform well. Speed/power is about midway between 7X57 Mauser and 7mm-08, both of which are excellent deer cartridges.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

good idea for youngsters and maybe new hunters, men or women.

But I know the .300 RUM has 3 power grades, which may be different than managed recoils, but my view is if the gun is too much, use a smaller one, I wouldn't routinely use a .300 win mag at .308 power levels.....

So in an instance, sure use it, etc..., good to not scare someone from the powerful rifle, but once you're exp'd and an adult, if you can't handle your rifle, I don't see the point in having it/using it if you're only going to use managed loads.

I thin the 270 is loaded with 100grs, not sure the velocities but could make a decent coyote rifle if the velocities are still there.

I wish back in the day they had that for the .270, when I was youngster that thing seemed to kick like an elephant rifle, course I was prob a 100lbs, nowadays i can't believe it use to feel like it kicked, its like a cap gun now.

So in an ideal world, I think someone would have a more appropriate rifle/round ie using a .243 insteand of a .30-06 or instead of a .300 win mag, but if thats the only rifle at hand, well then it may be just whats needed.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

I went out and sighted in my 7mm Rem Mag using the MR rounds last weekend. It's what I plan to use for deer hunting this fall. Accuracy was fair. Certainly good enough for the 100 yard shots I'm likely to see. Haven't actually tried them on live targets yet, but, I don't see any reason why they won't perform well. Speed/power is about midway between 7X57 Mauser and 7mm-08, both of which are excellent deer cartridges.
Keep me posted! I am thinking of trying some in my 7MM RM.
If they are accurate, that will be the "cheap" way to get a 7MM-08 AND keep my 7MM RM.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I bought some for my .300 Win Mag last season, so that my grand son could hunt with it, shot great, and knocked the snot out of a little 8 point with it.