Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to keep guns from rusting in the summer

Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to keep guns from rusting in the summer

I have been having a tough time keeping my guns from rusting lately due to extreme humidity. The other week I oiled every gun I own (8 or 9) and I mean I oiled them really good. It took me about 4 hours to clean them all. Then I was looking over them today and 5 of them had rust on them. It wasnt bad but the whole gun had a light layer of rust. How do you guys keep your guns from rusting in the summer???

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: How to keep guns from rusting in the summer

Well, the first thing you can do is try to get as much moisture out of the air as possible. I like to use de-humidifiers in my gun room where my safes are. I also clean my guns with G-96 Gun treatment and it does a great job against rust. Not only is it a great cleaner but itcoats and protects the gun as well. I also like to open my gun safes often to make sure they keep dry (plus I get to look at my guns). I don't put any kind of rods or moisture removers in my safes though they do work to keep the moisture out. I just treat the entire room and keep the humidity levels down with de-humidifiers. Living in Illinois that's not an easy task as the summers get very humid but it has worked for me.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIG)
Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

About every 2-3 months I take my guns out, clean them and use bore butter on them. I coat the outside with a good layer of bore butter. Keeps em shiney and looking like new, not to mention they smell good too
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

DEHUMIDIFIER in the room the guns are in!!!! IMO take them from the case (if they are in cases) and open up the actions and put them somewhere they can get some air....

i had that problem...DAMP basement bedroom, humid summer, and cases under the bed.....dehumidifier and opened all the actions and put them in all the corners of my room....not a great idea if any unauthorized personell(kids, kids friends over when your not home, blah blah blah) might be around....

but in my case i was the only one in the room so i was fine...humidity is a killer....im freaking out now im away all summer and dont know how the new house handles the humidity...im hoping well...central AC and all the guns are upstares now.....
Old 07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIG)

Briman two great mindsthink alike LOL.

+1 RIGand SHEEP SKIN WIPE. Keep the guns out of rifle cases in the open air. If you have a safe buy a Golden Rod.I lived in Florida where there was very high Humidity. In all the years I never had a rust concern using RIG and a Golden Rod in the safe.You can also install a low wattage light bulb in the safe for added protection. I leave them on 24/7 just to be sure. The new curly bulbs last several times longer then your standard light bulb.I've been using this practice for close to30 years.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: diehardhunter

I have been having a tough time keeping my guns from rusting lately due to extreme humidity. The other week I oiled every gun I own (8 or 9) and I mean I oiled them really good. It took me about 4 hours to clean them all. Then I was looking over them today and 5 of them had rust on them. It wasnt bad but the whole gun had a light layer of rust. How do you guys keep your guns from rusting in the summer???

Thanks,

Die Hard

Go to WalMart and buy some Damp Rid to put in the safe or closet!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

What do you do, store them in your sauna?

I clean mine, put on some oil put them in the cabinet and leave em. I'm in a humid climate of IL, never had any rusting problems.

How's the bluing?

Stored in a cabinet? safe? gun case?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you do-DON'T store them in cases as it just causes condensation inside the case. DO use a well oiled rag and corrison-X or rusty duck and give them a rubdown every week or so. To get rid of light rust without further damaging bluing,use 0000 steel wool and your favorite rust preventer and rub down.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with Briman and get your hands on some RIG. Good luck.

Quick Reply: How to keep guns from rusting in the summer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.