Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Ammo

Old 06-28-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Weatherby Ammo

Does anyone know how Weatherbybrand ammo stacks up when shot thru a chronograph in the real world. We know that Weatherby rifles generally have long 26" barrels and the case size is slightly larger to get the higher velocity. A friend and I boththink that they likely fall 100fps short like most factory ammo.Another question while I'm thinking about it, does Norma Weatherby brand ammo and then place it in a Weatherby box. I think I heard that somewhere but I don't know if there is any truth to it.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weatherby Ammo

The price they charge for it is enough to cause meto never buy a single box !!! They use the same powder, the same bullet and charge mutiple times the normal cost of other cartridges.. some loads are only two or three grains more powder, they use the caliber bullets and primers and the same brass.. keep your old brass, get yourself into reloading and save a ton of money...shoot it over a chrony and see if it will get those advertised velocities, just like any other factory rifle, I doubt they'd shoot those velocities but they'd be within a 100 fps or so.. JUST WAY TO EXPENSIVE overall, I saw some at Gander's near the $75-100 a box area, no way to justify that...$4-5 a shot !!! NEVER ...
Old 06-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Weatherby Ammo uses Norma brass and is loaded by Norma. It is loaded hotter then most factory ammo. Some produce velocities that a handloader cannot sometimes match and sometimes they don't. The components are A+ in this ammo line. When you factor in that they have Norma brass that is 2x of most brass then the differences don't seem that great. There is a dealer in my state that stocks a lot of it in all the weatherby calibers andit is not that much more then Federal Premium or Winchester Supreme.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

when i shoot/hunt with my Weatherby .300 mag i use Weatherby ammo. i buy from them off the internet ($56.00 a box). i shoot the 165 gr. BST at3350 fps at the muzzle.

here is their link to prices and statistics....

http://www.weatherby.com/products/ammo.asp?prd_id=6
Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Velocity would depend a bit on the rifle, but Wby factory stuff is hot and usually comes damn close or exceeds what they say it'll do....but wow I'm glad I reload and doen't have to pay $75 a box for ammo. I load 300Wby for a friend and can do it for around $15 per box of 20. For dies, shellholder, bullets, powder it was less for him then 1 box. It just blows me away that people pay that much for 20 shells.

Brett

Old 06-29-2008, 10:38 AM

Thank for the replies.

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that their ammo lives up to their published numbers. However, considering that the ammo is actually made by Norma, maybe it's not that surprises after all.

For those who brought up reloading, I do reload but time is always in short supply these days so I only reload for a few of my rifles.I don't own any Weatherby riflesbut at $75 or even $56 a box I would find the time.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

i don't shoot the Weatherby enough to justify buying reloading equipment. although my .25-06 ammo isn't exactly cheap either. maybe one day i'll buy reloading equipment and find time to reload. i only shoot the Weatherby 3-4 times a year to check the scope and i only hunt with it if i am hunting a spot with longer shots. last year i didn't even take it to the woods.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, it just depends on how much you shoot. As much as I tinker with handloads for all my personal guns I spend around 10 times as much as I did as a kid buying factory stuff. For me it's as much of a sport as hunting itself and something to keep me busy in the off season. For 90% of hunters reloading wouldn't make much sense.

Brett
Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
DM

I load 300Wby for a friend and can do it for around $15 per box of 20.
If you don't have an ammo mfg license, i hope you are having HIM doing the loading?? It's against the law for you to load for him, and if for any reason he has an ammo problem it will be you that gets hammered...

DM
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM

If you go to the MidwayUSA site and check prices for .300 Wby magnum ammunition you will find that the Weatherby brand ammunition is actually cheaper than Federal and Remington brand ammunition in that caliber. I wait for sales and buy a lot. I got 8 boxes of Federal .300 Wby mag for $17 a box when they were discontinuing a particular loadingwith 180 grain Nosler bullets. I got 3 boxes of Remington brand.300 Wby magnum for $24 a boxwhen MidwayUSA inexplicably had it forthat priceon their site for a couple of days, which was probably a mistake on their part since it is usually $56 a box. While the Federal and Remington loadings in .300 Wby mag are not quite as hot as the Weatherby brandstuff, they stillare ahead of .300 WM in even its hottest factoryloadings.