Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

small game gun of choice

Old 06-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Default small game gun of choice

I'm new to hunting, but been with my cousin for some small game here and there.

I want to get into it, so I was asking which one everyone prefered to use while small gaming.
I've been looking on different online stores but dont know what the numbers and abrev.'s mean.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: small game gun of choice

For small game like rabbits, squirrels, etc. I like a Ruger 10/22 its a 22lr and onw of the toughest guns you can get. Most of the abbriveations mean the caliber whickis the width of the bullet. For instance a .22lr is 22 thousandths of an inch in diameter and the lr stands for long rifle which was used to tell the difference between 22long whick was a little shorter and the 22 short which is about half the size of the 22lr.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:22 PM

ah alright thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 04:06 PM

How are the kicks on any .22?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

The .22LR is a rimfire and has no recoil (kicks).

The .22 centerfires (such as .223, .222, .22-250) are centerfire and their recoil is very mild.

Being new, I would highly recommend talking with a firearm dealer before making a decision on a caliber / rifle.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 PM

Any straight shooting 22LR (LR stands for Long Rifle)in good condition, even a used one, will serve you well.
Since you are new to hunting, I would visit a few local gun shops looking for a good used 22 LR that you can afford. Ask questions of the shop owner, most are very upstanding knowledgable people and will give you good sound advise.

I would avoid all 22 centerfires at this point in your learning curve, they are over kill on squirrels and rabbits.

22 LR Ammo is cheap, so you can shoot a lot. Have fun
Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 PM

You might also consider buying a shotgun. It can be used for hunting nearly all types of small game and if your hunting interests broaden it can be used for birds and even big game depending on the shot size you use. Shotguns come in various bore sizes; .410 caliber(smallest) 28, 20, 16, 12 and 10 guage. Counterintuitively, the smaller the guage, the larger the bore size. The 12 guage is probably the most popular but the 20 guagealso has many adherents. Like guage,with shot size the smaller the shot # , the larger the pellets, i.e. #2 shot contains larger pellets than #6. For large game you can get rifled slugs that are effective on deer sized animals at ranges out to 100 yards.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:57 PM

Thanks guys. I dont know how if ill go higher than small game due to college, but I may.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let's back up if you don't mind...

Depending upon what part of the US you live in small game can mean different things to different folks...What State do you live in??? Will you be hunting quail, doves or other flying game, you don't want to be shooting a .22 up in the air as the bullet can travel a mile and a half...

Other info is great, we hunt rabbits with begals, so you don't want to be shooting a .22 at a running rabbit on the ground with other hunters around...

How old are you, what is the hardest kicking gun you have shot???

Any other info you might want to provide...
Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Let's back up if you don't mind...

Depending upon what part of the US you live in small game can mean different things to different folks...What State do you live in??? Will you be hunting quail, doves or other flying game, you don't want to be shooting a .22 up in the air as the bullet can travel a mile and a half...

Other info is great, we hunt rabbits with begals, so you don't want to be shooting a .22 at a running rabbit on the ground with other hunters around...

How old are you, what is the hardest kicking gun you have shot???

Any other info you might want to provide...
Good question Need more info.

Quick Reply: small game gun of choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.