Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help- I need smaller groups

Old 03-01-2003, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help- I need smaller groups

The weather finally cooperated, and I was able to get out to the range yesterday.It was good to get out, but I was a little frustrated at how my rifle shot. I was shooting my Rem 700 LSS (7mm Rem Mag), and my groups at 200yds were about 4.5" -5" (shooting from a solid bench rest). Unfortunately this is pretty common for this gun. After the last time I had it out, I cleaned the heck out of it hoping that would clear up the problem, but it didn' t seem to.

I was shooting Federal 160 Nosler Partitions yesterday, but it usually doesn' t matter what type of ammo I use, the groups are always about the same. ( I don' t reload, so I' m dependent on factory fodder)

I' m not very experienced when it comes to adjusting and tweeking firearms, but I was wondering if there were some simple things I could try before I take my gun to a ' smith.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 03-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help- I need smaller groups

How many different bullet weights and loads have you tried?Some guns are more fussy and you may have to try several loads in various bullet weights to find what your gun likes best.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have also tried 140s and 150s. The results were about the same.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:08 AM

Start by shooting at 100 yards. Let the barrel cool between shots. And clean after every shot. Make sure that the barrel has no oil in it. Also make sure the barrel is not touching anything while firing. Last year I had about the same trouble with my Winchester and I found a loose scope mount. Just check the basic things before ya take it to the smith.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

here' s my routine.....is the barrel free floating?....if not make it so.

then glass bed the action.....use pillars if you can.

Too bad you don' t reload....it would help.

Find some factory loaded Nosler Ballistic tips and try them.

Oops....I forgot something.....clean the barrel with an ammonia style cleaner.....sweets is a good one.....use a " mop" to swab the bore many times with a saturation of the ammonia smelling stuff.....wait ten minutes and do it again.....wait ten minutes and use a phosphor bronze brush and make at least twenty strokes through the barrel.

Use a dry patch and then another. Use a small amount of gun oil on the last patch and then take the gun to the range and shoot a five shot group.....throw that group away and start counting the next half dozen groups.

Don' t be afraid to be agressive with the cleaning.....it won' t hurt the barrel and if you have copper in the barrel it must be chemically disolved and removed.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

All nosler Partitions or federal ammo? Try different styles like: Seirra Boattails, Ballistic Tip, Spirepoint,SST, etc. Different manufacturer' s (hornady, winchester, rem).

Have you had the triggers pull adjusted (poundage)? Most are set factory 7 pounds or higher. One of the first things I do is take my triggers down to 3lb range. I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith and asking him to lighten the trigger.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swallow your pride and have someone that you know is a really good and consistant shooter try to shoot it. If it still shoots poorly- take it to a gunsmith to have it checked out- there could be something wrong with it- it might need a new crown cut, or the bolt maybe sitting cockeyed in the receiver.

First, I would check that your action screws are tight- not too tight- just a bit more than snug, but certainly not loose. Check that the barrel sits in the stock evenly- that the stock isn' t touching the barrel on one side and not the other- it shouldn' t touch the barrel at all. Make sure the screws on your sight bases and rings are very tight- though if they were loose, your rifle would probably shoot much more erratically. I wouldn' t worry about cleaning between shots, if your barrel fouled up badly enough after 5 or 10 shots to shoot erratically, you have bigger problems with your barrel being rough. I have a rifle with fairly pitted barrel that takes about 20 shots before it fould up enough to really make a big difference.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:03 PM

Just remember that any pressure at al on the barrel will affect accuracy i.e. something in the stock, the sand bags that you use. Make sure that when you set the gun onto the sand bags that you set it on the stock and not the barrel. Also take three breaths and let the third half way out and squeeeeze the trigger. Try not to pull the stock too hard into your shoulder, just snug enough. Find a buddy that reloads and get him to help you work up a load. If you have a little extra room in your house or Apt, you could start reloading for $100 or so. Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:33 PM

Sounds to me like a bedding problem. Free float the barrel and bed the receiver and try it again.

Rem. 222
Old 03-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trade it in on a Savage Seriously, how is your trigger pull? If it is too heavy it is hard to get good groups.

Quick Reply: Help- I need smaller groups

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.