Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber Question

Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 PM

Default RE: Caliber Question

In alberta they cancelled the grizzly hunt a couple years ago but when it is back I will be applying for my tag.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 PM

There was a comment that there are alot of ruger no1 rifles for sale on gunbroker.
Does anybody know what the procedure is for somebody from canada buying a rifle off of gunbroker.
How would I get the rifle home?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

My .340 kicks less than my .300 win mag. I was worried that when I got my .340 that the kick was going to be like WOW! site in and only shoot when need to, nothing of the sort, you know its a magnum when it goes off but totally manageable. When I first got it I had to shoot it, took it out on the farm and fired it off, unscoped....which at 8lbs....i figured would really kick, it was nothing of the sort....

I think most .375's will come with some weight, anything over 8lbs along with a nice pad wont do much. Also the .340 I believe has more case capacity than the .375H&H which I believe weatherby oringially wildcatted from....I've shot 250gr from it, so thats fairly close to 260gr from your .375.....

This experience really has made me comfortable about recoil.....I wouldn't hesitate a chance to shoot anything up to a .458lott and am really not worried about the kick from anythign on up to that cartridge.

I think if a .300 win mag doesnt upset you much....I wouldn't hesitate to get a .375H&H.

I've read numerous articles on the .375 and all state how a .375 bullet will cause less meat damage than a .270....

I think the 270gr bullet I'd pick for most not big/dangerous game situations....for the flatter trajectory, though youre saying 260gr.....if you handload, do what you please, but I've noticed that the 270's and 300's slow down quite a bit more slowly than the ligther loads, 235-260, so may consier 270s.....for tthis reason,

Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM

I have heard the 375 is easier to shoot than a 338 because it is more of a push than a punch.
I am surprised the .340 doesnt kick that much. Those weatherby mags are deadly. My brother just got a mark V
in 300 weatherby mag which weighs 8lbsand handles really well.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that the big bores tend to be a big shove/push, rather than a sharp kick....
Perhaps thats the case with my 300 win mag vs my .340 both kick though.

everyone I've ever talked to who has shot a .378 wby said it was the worse kicker ever....I don't see wby manufacturing new rifles in that cartridge anymore either.

The weatherbys come with a pachmayr pad which I'm sure helps.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

PS, you know you were asking about a 300 vs a 375, I think a .338 might be the perfect round for you....

I think any .338 would be awesome....whether its the WM, RUM, or WBY....get the .340wby and you can rub it in your bro that its better than his .300 wby....haha.

Still a little skeptical of the .338 RUM, though I like the increased case capacity compared to the .338 win mag, and the fact that its beltless.....not sure if its here to stay is the only thing....?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: johnwayne

I am going to get a ruger no1 rifle and I have narrowed it down to either the 300H&H or the 375H&H. I am from canada and I will be using this rifle for everything from deer up to moose, bear and possibly woodland buffalo but the majority of the time it will be deer.
I will be hunting in all terrains including heavy bush, open fields and mountains.
The 300 will be better for deer and longer ranges but mightnot beas effective on moose or buffalo.
The 375 will be better for the bigger animals and in the brush butit will have more weight and recoil.
I will be handloading both calibers.

For those of you that haveexperience with these caliberswhich would you recomend?
IF you have a No. 1 in .300 H&H available, buy it NOW!! The .375 is still in production, and many were made, so it won't be as hard to get one. But the .300 H&H is pretty rare!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

There was a comment that there are alot of ruger no1 rifles for sale on gunbroker.
Does anybody know what the procedure is for somebody from canada buying a rifle off of gunbroker.
I believe you'll need to contact your government to determine what is required to import a firearm into Canada. There are probably some Canadian gun dealers that can handle imports.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I tried to do a little research for this. Because you have to comply both both U.S. and Canadain laws, You must have your PAL. I assume you already have this, thats about it on your side besides registration, but before you bid on or purchase, you must make arrangments with a U.S. exporter. There are a couple listed on gunbroker. The exporter will have all the info needed to fullfill your purchase.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have to agree that a 300RUM kicks harder than a 375H&H but to say a 375H&H is easly managable? The 250 grain bullets have less recoil than a 300 grain bullet but flat out the 300 grain bullet just hurts. All that been said and if you really wanta 375H&H get it. Put a break on it and load it to the max. Should be able to stop a freight train. And it's kinda cool going to the range with something that has a hole in the end ofthe barrel that big.

If you're looking for overall useability the 300 Win Mag is hard to beat. It's not my favorite 300 but is very versitle. I guess the whole thing is kinda hard to answer because there is no real relation between the 300 mags and a 375H&H. The 375 is great for heavy thick skinned animals and will kill about anything you point it at. The 300 mags are great long range cartriges and will kill anything in North America. Just depends what 300 you would go with on how far it will efffectivly kill.

The answer is buy one each

Quick Reply: Caliber Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.