Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug guns

Old 06-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: slug guns

ORIGINAL: hamkiller

Need info on slug shotguns. What scope is bestto use on a 20 ga.H & R , and what ammo is best ? any experience is appreciated.
I am assuming that this gun has a rifled barrel. Therefore, some kind of sabotted big-bore bullet-type slug load would be best. But, since all guns are individuals, you will have to buy a variety of different brands & types, and actually shoot them at the range to find out which one works best in YOUR GUN!!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I also recommend the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x 32mm shotgun scope. Really good scope for $129.00.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

But, since all guns are individuals, you will have to buy a variety of different brands & types, and actually shoot them at the range to find out which one works best in YOUR GUN!!
Although true, that is some of the most annoying advice ever handed out to a "what's best" question, and leaves the asker still at square one....and is seen all to often.

Nothing wrong with taking a concenous of experience via a cross sectioned query and coming out on topwith a best pick choicewith which to start from.

If that don't work out, then move on to something else....

Tellin' someone to just go buy a bunch of stuff at random, and try it,don't help 'em a bit.............
Old 06-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Id buy a box or 2 of the hornady SSTs & try them out At 50 yards. See how they do. They are real impressive on game. If they group in your gun, Youre good to go. The problem with these high dollar sabot slugs is you spend 50, 60 bucks on a couple different brands. before you figure out which one you like,
Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM

i dont have the ultra slug hunter just the tracker 2 (same thing just lighter) in a 20 guage it shoots the sst's really good, but i just use the adjustable sights that are on it, i really dont see the need for shots at 100 yards or under, past that i would probaly go for it, just my 2 cents.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've used the SST's in my 12ga since they came out.....still do, though not exactly sold on their performance.....

watched my father shoot a nice buck at about 50yds....shot em 4-6times, hit him square with the 1st and just stood there, not sure exactly what happened, I think he was dead and didn't know it, so my dad kept firing assuming he missed him.....since he seemed to react as if nothing happened, afterwards.....we found most hit their target.....I'm just not sure they expanded etc.....

I love the idea of a ligther faster slug bullet.....just not sold on their expansion.....shot a doe with barnes expanders and it dropped like a ton of bricks, 1 shot, about 100yds, not the high speed style slugs either....all sabot's though.

Not sure anyone else has info on the SST's expansion? who knows though? did find fragments.....so not really sure what happened....

I think everyone makes high speed sabot's now though some are light 300gr some are up to 385gr etc...course thats for the 12ga.....I think if you're planning to shoot that 100-200yds I'd opt for high speed sabots, but if 150yds or less and more likely 100yds or less, I still consider regular old sabots.....

If that's an option I'd try both and see which group better.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

But, since all guns are individuals, you will have to buy a variety of different brands & types, and actually shoot them at the range to find out which one works best in YOUR GUN!!
Although true, that is some of the most annoying advice ever handed out to a "what's best" question, and leaves the asker still at square one....and is seen all to often.

Nothing wrong with taking a concenous of experience via a cross sectioned query and coming out on topwith a best pick choicewith which to start from.

If that don't work out, then move on to something else....

Tellin' someone to just go buy a bunch of stuff at random, and try it,don't help 'em a bit.............
Unfortunately, the truth is often "annoying". Whytell a person that some load or other is best, when often it is NOT??

Talk about annoying. Most of your pronouncements certainly possess that particular characteristic, in spades. If you don't have anything constructive to say, why not just refrain from pontificating!!

Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 AM

Can only wonder if you've even fired a slug gun, let alone killed anything with one....obvious from what you've so willingly posted so far.

The common concensous so far, which I happen to be part of, isthat the Hornady SST's work well, and that would suggest trying themfirst in this particular make of slug gun. That's valuable to the one asking the questions, and only requires a box or two to find out....since he needs a place to start anyway, to being with.

You've left the man with no answers to any of his questions, beyond, that he is basically on his own.

I'm sure he appreciates it though........
Old 06-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with you RL, telling someone to go and buy and shoot them all and see which works best is not much help. I've seen it in the bow section a hundred times. Someone ask which bow he shouldtry and he gets 20 people telling him to go down and see which one fits the best and shoot them all. Offering our opinion on what we think is best, should help someone with a good starting place.

Edit- However, bashing someone else isn't the right thing to do either.Eldeguello offers a lot of good advice, and has probably forgotten more about guns than some of us has learned.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:19 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Can only wonder if you've even fired a slug gun, let alone killed anything with one....obvious from what you've so willingly posted so far.

The common concensous so far, which I happen to be part of, isthat the Hornady SST's work well, and that would suggest trying themfirst in this particular make of slug gun. That's valuable to the one asking the questions, and only requires a box or two to find out....since he needs a place to start anyway, to being with.

You've left the man with no answers to any of his questions, beyond, that he is basically on his own.

I'm sure he appreciates it though........
Thats because no one person can answer the question. Anyone who knows slug guns knows this and know how they vary.

I have owned 5 different slug guns. And all 5 would shoot lightfields 1oz decently well, maybe 2.5MOA out to 150 yards.Notgreat accuracy, but got the job done.Coppersolids shot great (2.75" not the 3") in 3 of them but not the other two. Federal hydroshocks shot great in the other two and another gun but not in two. Winchester partiton loads did mediocre in all 5, and coreloks threw flyers quite a bit.

So what's the point? Point is, you have 5 different guns shooting several different loads totally different. Only ammo I could consistently recommend for ok performance is lightfields, but they drop like a hammer past 100 yards.

You can give a guy a place to start, but he has to do his homework.

Quick Reply: slug guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.