Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Intermediate ER Scope

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Intermediate ER Scope

Need some info here. I've finally decided how I'm going to set up my Marlin Guide gun. I'm going with the XS Lever Rail.

Here is the link for it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0041412228355a&type=product&cm Cat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=xs+rail&N=4887& Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&N tt=xs+rail&noImage=0

Now I need to find a scope that is an intermediate eye relief that will work well for the Guide gun. I don't want a scout scope. I think I'm looking for something in the 6-8" eye relief range. Something that will hang our around mid-action.

I'd like something that goes up to at least 4x. Maybe even fixed 4x.

Any thoughts or ideas on this one?

If I go variable could I end up in a situation where when I turn up the power of the scope I won't get a sight picture?

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Intermediate ER Scope

This is the only scope that I found with longer eye relief, and more than 2.5 power: http://www.swfa.com/pc-4942-183-bushnell-175-4x32-banner-dusk-dawn-shotgun-scope.aspx
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for looking Johnny.

I have to believe there is more out there in that intermediate range.

Tom
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have a guide gun and understand that you are putting on the XS extended rail that go from the rear receiver screws to the rear sight dove tail Right? So you can use the gost ring peep sight with the scope off. So the scope is right in front of the gost ring.

You can't use aHand scope there is to much eye releif and I have a vxII 1-4x20mm and that is a scope with loads of eye releif but that still won't work its not enough. Now the Leupold and burris guide scopes are made for just that purpose. Do you have them confused with the handgun scopes? Everyone posissions there scope differntly mine is as far forward as the leuplod std ring & dove tail mounts will let me thats with the adjustment ring right to rear ring. Was that gost ring a quick detachable if so just get a Leuplod 1-4x20mm or 1.5-5x20mm there great scopes.

I had the SX gost ring sights on my gun before they offered the rails. I put the VXII 1-4x20mm on because of it huge field of view and have no issue with very close shots like 15-20 yards no issue and at 4x 150-200 yards is a verydo able shot.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

An intermediate rifle scope is going to be a "scout" scope. A shotgun scope will generally have a little more eye relief but you will usually have to settle for those "shotgun" reticles.

A scout scope is just a name they give the extended eye relief scopes because that is the type of rifle they usually sit on. Just about every one makes an EER rifle scope or three. Nikon, Burris, Leupoold, etc... Most will have between 8-10 inches of eye relief.

As far as range of eye relief you basically have three choices....... rifle scope, extended eye relief (scout) scopes, and handgun scopes.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I'm looking at the handgun scopes and they have too much eye relief. I need something in the 6-8" range.

Tom
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if this is a good compromise:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6972-1094-nik...iflescope.aspx

I'm going to have to do some testing today when I get home to see if 5" would work.

I've kind of got a fire burning under my bum since I leave for a black bear hunt in Canada in about 10 weeks and I want to have this rig ready to go and tested with hand loads. Build some confidence with it.

Tom
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

I think I may have found something to look at, this is an article I found after searching a little.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/multinik_081806/index.html

Thinking about one of these with a new slug barrel for the 870.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Johnny,

I owe you a beer!

I think that's the one I'm going to go with. I'm going to call around to see if anyone has one sitting on the shelf. Otherwise I'm going to order it.

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Johnny,

I owe you a beer!

I think that's the one I'm going to go with. I'm going to call around to see if anyone has one sitting on the shelf. Otherwise I'm going to order it.

Thanks

Tom
I too think that Bushnell might come closer to doing what you are looking for than most others. I believe even 5" of eye relief might be a little on the short side.

Quick Reply: Intermediate ER Scope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.