Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Intermediate ER Scope

Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Intermediate ER Scope

Eldoguello,

Johnny pointed me to a Nikon Handgun scope.

Now I reading up on Nikon's website about that scope and the field of view is very small. At 100 yards the FOV is 13.1 - 4.1.

How big of an issue is that going to be?

Tom
Old 06-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just got off the phone with Nikon. They do not believe that the UCC hangun scope will proform as the article advertised. He claims that you might be able to swing the eye relief 1/2" before losing enough crispness as to affect the view.

Still looking!

Tom
Old 06-13-2008, 07:35 AM

I would recommend the Bushnell Banner scope with 6" of eye relief.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_banner_71-3947.cfm

A lot of people turn their noses up at this scope because it is fairly inexpensive and the Bushnell name. I have 4 of these scopes. They are mounted on my 12Ga Encore barrel, 20Ga Encore barrel, .50 cal Encore Barrel and my Marlin 1895 in 45/70 with the 22" barrel. I haven't had a problem with one of them and these are all guns that will beat up a scope. I love the eye relief because of the recoil these setups have. I haven't been kissed once. They are very clear and gather a lot of light, almost as much as my Leupold VX-III. I might not put one on a 250+ yard shooter but for a shorter range gun, you can't beat it. If you can hold off, Bass Pro always puts them on sale for around $79-$89.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Do I still get my beer?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Your going to want the smallest/lightest scope for your guide gun to not throw off its handing charictoristics. Thats why you bought it right? Leupold makes a great one as well as burris and stay with a 20mm don't get a scope with bell on it.

I am told that field of view is not that important with a scout scope setup because you locate the target with both eyes open and at low power you may not even close the other eye. Good luck and if like me don't for get the VXII 1-4x20mm its great at powder burn distance extreamly close up and at 150-200yards.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Do I still get my beer?
Heck yeah. I appreciate you keeping an eye out there for me. If you're ever in the Troy/Rochester area let me know. I might even buy you a few.

Tom
Old 06-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Site Bouncer

Tom,

Take a look at what leupold has to offer. Their FX-II line of EER handgun scopes have adjustable eye relief that your looking for. They also have a scope made specifically for what you want to do (IER), here's a link:http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/fx-ii-riflescopes/fx-ii-2-5x28mm-ier-scout/

I have the FX-II on my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter and I can adjust my eye relief by turning the eyepiece. It's worth a trip to see if you can adjust it so you can see through clearly at the distance you want to put it at.Mine isa fixed 4X but they come in 2X and adjustable as well.