Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone have a cryo treated barrel/receiver??

Old 01-20-2002, 05:46 PM
Host of Hosts

Default Anyone have a cryo treated barrel/receiver??

I was thinking about trying it on one of my rifles to see if it improve anything. I see that a few barrel makers use this process on their products. Just curious if anyone has done it?
Old 01-20-2002, 06:41 PM

Default RE: Anyone have a cryo treated barrel/receiver??

F4YG,
I never had it done, but read different articles about it. I have seen one rifle barrel cryoed, I wasn't impressed. If it were me I would spend the $40 toward a better trigger, bedding job, or some other accuracy enhancing item.

Rem. 222
Old 01-20-2002, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of my barrels was cryo'd before my gunsmith delivered the gun to me.It averages 1/2" groups at 100 yards but since I did not shoot it before the treatment was done I don't know if it had any effect or not.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I have used several cryo treated barrels and it has it's pro's and con's. I have always had it done on new high quality barrels, never on a used barrel. So I don't know first hand if it will help that much on a used barrel. If you beleive the adds, it will help cut groups by 50%.

From what I have been told by some in the barrel making industry, is it may help make a 1" rifle into a 3/4" rifle, but that's about it, and if it's a 1/2" rifle you may not tell any difference at all. Basically, if your rifle shoots good, cryo may not help it all that much, but if it only shoots fair then you may see a difference. One maker even told me, that the the barrel shoots, the greater the difference you will see after the cryo, but is kind of a waste of money to cryo a great shooting barrrel. I have not heard of cryo actual causing a barrel to decrease it's accuracy.

One thing that cryo does do is increase barrel life by 20-25%. It does this by hardening the barrel enough to resist normal wear and tear, and throat erosion.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:16 AM
Host of Hosts

Thanks for the responses, I will weigh my options, I'm not that concerned with the accuracy part of it, I was more curious as to fouling and wear.