Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ok still stumped

Old 02-25-2003, 04:53 PM

Default ok still stumped

In my first post i was talking about some different rifles . (remember i am a gun baby still wet behind the ears) the 7mm rem mag is what most people suggested that i get. OK>>>>>>> looked for any info that i could find on the net and i couldnt find much on any 7mm. Now i know there is tons of info out there but not sure where to look. any links would be helpful.

Also what is the difference in the 7mm, 7mm rem mag, 7mm ultra mag. Do these rounds require different guns or they ammo description. CRAP i have a lot to learn.

Old 02-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ok still stumped

Are you looking for guns and styles? If so go to the manufacturer' s website (Tikka, Savage, Browning, Remington(remington country is its name), Winchester) Then you pick the style of gun you like (ie: Brwoning Stainless Steel (SS) Stalker or Rem. 700 ADL or BDL), it will give you the calibers available and technical specs pertaining to that model. If looking for ammo choices, goto your favorite ammo website (ie: remington, hornady, federal, etc) Look in ammo, Center Fire and the 7 Rem Mag for bullet choice(style and grain), ballistics, etc. Most search engines should pick up the main when you type in the manufacturer' s, as well as distributor companies online. Your best to go to the gun manufacturer' s sites and narrow the choice and compare...then you can go to the others for price comparision, etc. If your looking for reviews, try jesse hunting home page (had a number of gun reviews). Guns and ammo and do a search on article. The Shooting times is yet another that may give you some back issues on cartridges and manufacturers.

Without going into a bunch of data and at the risk of giving overload, they are designed to shoot the same diameter bullet - .284, thus why they are classified 7' s. But the cases in which they use are all different. Thus making them not interchangable and very different in design and characteristics.

Old 02-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

you can find a lot of those sites by using search engines , like secondpower.com , or google.com , the yahoo search engine is another good one , just type in say for example " 7mm rem. mag. , it gives a ton of web pages ( i just tried it ) one i found was hodgdon.com , try it with remington arms , it gives the link to the remington arms web site. try it with the other makers too . hope that will help you
Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bigleauge,
as others have said, you can get a lots of info on any good search engine. Also sites like www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm and Haas ammo guide at www.calweb.com/~haas/ammoguide/ could help you too.
Let me also give you a word of caution, you say that you are somewhat new to shooting, so my advice to you would be to find some rifles that you can shoot before you go out and buy one for yourself! Don' t get caught up in the " magnum craze!" Get something that you can shoot ACCURATELY!
Magnums are great! IF you can handle them, but even the 7MM Rem. mag has more recoil than the average shooter will be comfortable with. Good luck!
Frank
Old 02-25-2003, 09:36 PM

I would tell you to purchase or borrow some reloading manuals. Usually they have small explanation about the various cartridges i.e. how they came to be, what they are known for etc. They make very interesting reading. You can also use them to compare velocities, bullet weights etc.

I agree with JagMagMan, you should really attempt to sample some of the various calibers before buying.

KC
Old 02-25-2003, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm by itself means nothing.The 7mmrem mag is a very versatile cartridge that is suitable for almost all game.The 7mmultra mag is a very specialized cartridge that is not a good choice for a first gun.I find the 7mm rem mag recoil quite manageable for most shooters but the ultramag is a little stiffer.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Typical Buck

When ever I see 7mm I first think of the 7mm Mauser or 7X57 . There are a couple other European 7X (various). Lots of European cartridges are named like this. The first number is the diameter or caliber of the bullet in milimeters (mm) and the second number is the lenght of the cartridge case in mm' s.

A 7X57 is about like a 7mm08.
A 7X61 Sharp&Hart is about between the 280 Rem and the 7mm rem. mag.

Robin
Old 02-26-2003, 03:22 AM

bigleague...
for a brief synopsis... 7mm is the diameter of the bullet... there are many different cartridges that are 7mm. The 7mm Mauser (7x57) is a good old cartridge, a spectacular deer cartridge. The 7-08 is a short version of the 7x57, ballistically identical, but will work in short actions. The 280 Remington is basically a 7mm-06..or a 30-06 that has been necked down to 7mm... more powerful than the 7x57. The 7mm Remington Magnum is probably the best known 7... it is a belted cartridge, and is somewhat more powerful than the 30-06. The 7mm Ultra Mag is bigger and more powerful still, and is better suited to long range deer and elk hunting. There are others, but this will give you a brief idea of some of the choices. None of these are interchangeable....
Old 02-26-2003, 03:41 AM

heres some sites

www.remington.com

www.browning.com

www.czusa.com

www.sako.fi/

www.savagearms.com

www.thegunsearch.com

www.winchester-guns.com

www.ruger-firearms.com
you might as well want to look at this site too.

www.galleryofguns.com
Old 02-26-2003, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Bigleague, check out this web page www.chuckhawks.com/index2.guns.htm and go to rifle information or rifle cartridge page. There will be alot of good information for you to read...Also keep asking questions.

Quick Reply: ok still stumped

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.