Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ok still stumped

Old 02-26-2003, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ok still stumped

Bigleague- There are a number of books available out there that have alot of useful info.Lyman' s Guide To Big Game Cartridges & Rifles is a pretty good book to start with. It doesn' t have any of the new short mags or ultra mags in it, but is a good reference. There are alot of gun magazines also.

If you don' t have much experience with shooting guns, I would suggest looking at something smaller than a 7mm Rem Mag. Most of the people here aren' t bothered by the recoil, but that' s because most started with less powerful rounds (.30/.30, .243, .257, etc.). I think everyone is capable of shooting just about any caliber gun, you just have to work up to it.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:35 AM

If you are just getting into shooting don' t start out with a magnum.
Get a .280.
It uses the same bullets as the 7mm mag. is just as effective out to 250 yards and it won' t kick the crap out of you.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you really want a .280/7MM caliber, (and it is a great choice, it has a good reputation as an accurate and effective caliber!) Take a good look at the 7MM-08 it
really does a job on deer and can handle larger game too, with even less recoil than the .280 Rem.
The .280 is good too. It is the most that you will get in 7MM without going to the belted magnums! Again, good luck!
Old 02-26-2003, 09:06 AM

This board is great thanks for all the help guys. I have shot many different guns over the last few years but killed my first dear last year. I just have never owned anything (just mooched off my buddies) but now i think i would like to own a " deer gun" and s shotgun for inland game. I have always been a die-hard fisherman and know everything under the sun about salt and fresh water fishing and always thought how could some not know what i am talking about when talking about fishing..... well now i am on the other side of the fence.... but learning. It is like learning a different lang.

I liked the feel of the .270 and the 7mm that i shot. We killed a couple of deer with the 30.30 and that was effective (both of the shots were under 100 yards) wasnt too much in to the 30-06 but i might have just been the gun.

I am thinking of the remington 77 re mag with the leupold varix- III 3.5-10X40mm
think that would last me a lifetime for what i need....