Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver Question

Old 05-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Revolver Question

I have the change to but a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag from someone I know for a good deal. The only question I have is it is blued. Do you think blued will be fine as long as I take care of it? I guess it the blueing wears out I can always get it re done for not too much. A stainless would be nice but I can get a good deal from this guy. If I do anything else it will be from Gunbroker and I dont want to deal with shipping and FFL and crap.

So do you guys think I would be fine if I just keep it clean and take care of it?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Revolver Question

Yeah, go for it. Blueing is an excellent finish provided you maintain it. Not to mention that blued revolvers tend to weigh and cost less than their stainless counterparts anyway.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few months ago I bought a S&W 44 mag. I was thinking the same as you are now. After a little homework, I found that the blued guns actually cost more than the stainless. Reason being, there are a lot more steps to making them. When a stainless gun is prepared and ready for market a blued gun still has a lot more processes to complete it's finish. Therefore a blued gun's value is higher if the buyer know's his stuff. I'm very happy with my decision to buy a blued 44! Good luck.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

My dad died in 1975, I received from him a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag...I've worn some blueing off due to use, but there is no rust on it, cause I oil it from time to time....

Come to think of it, I don't own any stainless steel guns and haven't ever had to reblue one due to rust either...
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even using GunBroker (I have), you're likely going to have to deal with shipping and FFL stuff. It's really no more difficult than buying from any other dealer in the first place.

Otherwise, blue has been around for a loooooong time. You may see some holster wear after a time, but that simply becomes part of that firearm's character.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:54 AM

You can always get a bottle of 44-40 cold blue from Brownells and touch it up if you feel the need to.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of the finish it's only going to be as good as you care for it.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

All my handguns are blued, except one. No problems keeping the finish ok as long as you plan on regular care. Nothing tough about it except to respect the firearm. Don't put it away wet and always give it a wipe down.....should treat you fine.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Site Bouncer

I have many Ruger revolvers most of them blued. They are tough and reliable. Withvery little time and trigger work they can also be very excellent shooters and very accurate. If it's a good price like you say I would jump all over it! You will not be disappointed. With the exception of the New Vaquero, the Ruger revolvers will digest even the hardest hitting+P ammo you can put through it with absolutely no problems. This includes the original Vaquero (Pre 2005 large frame) , all the New Model Blackhawks (including the Super Blackhawk) and the Redhawk line including the Super Redhawk.

I'd buy it and shoot the hell out of it, don't worry about the bluing, just oil it and keep it clean. I use G-96 gun cleaner and lubricant on all of my firearms for years now with excellent results. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Like said above Ruger makes great guns, Stainless is nice but a pain to keep clean after shooting a box of44 mags. My blue wears some in my holster, but I bought them to use, not for show.