Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

LAPPING

Old 02-25-2003, 11:48 AM

Default LAPPING

HI,

I NEED SOME ADVISE, I JUST BROUGHT MY RIFLES TO A GUNSMITH FOR TRIGGER WORK. HE ASKED IF I WANTED MY BARREL LAPPED FOR IMPROVED ACCURACY & WILL CHARGE $40.00 TO HAVE IT DONE.

WHAT IS THE LAPPING PROCESS, IS IT WORTH HAVING IT DONE (FOR INPROVED ACCURACY) ANY INFO WILL HELP

THANK YOU
Old 02-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LAPPING

Barrel lapping " smothes" the bore of your rifle,it' s like sanding down wood so you don' t get splinters. It will improve accuracy and $40 is a fair price...
Old 02-25-2003, 01:11 PM

PaJack hit the nail on the head. though if i was getting real good accuracy from the rifle i dont know if id mess with it.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

SAVE YOUR MONEY ! ENOUGH SAID !
Old 02-25-2003, 04:46 PM
bigcountry

Shoot the gun. See how bad it copper fouls. See the groups and make a decision then. And do not let him fire lap it. I did with a 300RUM with the Tubbs kit and it ruined my rifling. I looked at the rifling before doing it and after with a hawkeye borescope. I lost my .5" groups and never got them back until I did a very expensive barrel changeout.

It might not copper that bad. And might be a tackdriver. And you can change the pressures by lapping. You can do this yourself with J-B' s bore bright. Consentrate on the throat where the bullet meets the rifling.

Old 02-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are probably a few good riflesmiths that can do a proper job of lapping a barrel. There are others that will ruin your barrel by lapping! How bad is your accuracy now? If it is anything close to 1.5" @ 100 yards (for a deer or big-game rifle), it is OK!! People seem to think, in this day and age, that anything over 0.5" is too big!! More of these tiny groups are shot on a keyboard than on the range!!How badly does your bore foul? The way to find this out is to shoot four or five 5-shot groups on the same trip to the range. Let the barrel cool a couple of minutes between shots. Is the last group MATERIALLY LARGER than the first? If not, forget the whole deal!
Old 02-26-2003, 03:29 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, I DECIDED NOT TO LAP MY RIFLES SINCE FOULING IS NOT A PROBLEM AND ACCURACY IS FINE

THANKS AGAIN
MIKE
Old 02-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Save the $40 and get a jar of JB' s for about $9.00 and some elbow grease.I have used this stuff for years and to me it works great,on all cal rifles and muzzleloaders.Never tried it on a shotgun though,only use one for turkey hunting.