Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Seeking Advise

Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 PM

Default Seeking Advise

I am currently wanting to buy 2 rifles one is a Remington Model 700 Sendero SF II. 300 Ultra Mag the other a Remington Model 700 XCR 30-06. Ultra Mag. Also like the Remington Model700Mountain LSS in a 30-06 Springfield.

pro's/cons on these as well as on the Remington 798 in a 30-06 springfield.

these are the 4 I am looking at basically I want a 300 and a 30-06.

Thanks all....

Oh one more thing I like to know pro and cons on stainless steelbarrels vs blue/blackect....
Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Seeking Advise

ORIGINAL: Hvy69Mtl

I am currently wanting to buy 2 rifles one is a Remington Model 700 Sendero SF II. 300 Ultra Mag the other a Remington Model 700 XCR 30-06. Ultra Mag. Also like the Remington Model700Mountain LSS in a 30-06 Springfield.

pro's/cons on these as well as on the Remington 798 in a 30-06 springfield.

these are the 4 I am looking at basically I want a 300 and a 30-06.

Thanks all....

Oh one more thing I like to know pro and cons on stainless steelbarrels vs blue/blackect....
Welcome! If you seek advise here, you are opening yourself up to a lot of strongly-held opinions! So here goes!

When I was living in Alaska, we used to say "you can tell a Cheechako by the size of his knife". The bigger the knife, the greener the dude! Same thing withrifle cartridges-the .300 Ultra Mag. is an excellent example of a case that holds too much powder for the diameter of the bullet-it should be pushing at least a .375" diameter projectile. Better yet, a .416"! Then you'd hace a real Kodiak killer!

However, I like the idea of a .30/'06, particularly in a rifle using a Mauser-type action, like the Remington 798,basically a Model '98 Mauser with a different safety.

For a .30 caliber magnum, I recommend a .300 Win. Mag., if you don't handload. If you do, see if you can find a good used FN Mauser or Browning Safari in .308 Norma Magnum and buy a set of dies! The .308 Norma is stillthe best of the .30-cal. belted magnum cartridges.

Stainless guns with plastic handles require less aintenance, but nothing made of any kind of steel can be totally neglected. I always have a can of Birchwood-Casey SHEATH with me in hunting camp, and guns get swabbed off with it every evening, whether they need it or not. This and a patch of SHEATH thru the bore always keeps everyhing rust-free.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:58 AM

Stainless rusts just a little, blued will rust a lot....

Why not get an '06 or a 300wsm, or a 7wsm.....and a smaller bore chambering for lighter work?

Nothing on the planet would walk away from that combo, and your shoulder will thank you much.

Remingtons are a "best buy" choice...
Old 05-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Remington model 700xcr in 270wsm. This rifle is really accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wanting to purchase a .300 and a .30-06 seems a bit redundant. What one will do, so will the other. You might limit yourself (for now) to one .30 cal and select something a little different for the 2nd gun.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:17 AM

here is what I am thinking of Model 700 Sendero SF II in a remington .300 Ultra Mag

and the Model 798 in a 30-06 springfield...

on the 30-06 springfield vs 30-06.

also having an X-Mark Pro trigger put in both and 3 way winchester style safety on both, explain what I have to do/who I would go to, to have this done? and about how much I am looking at as well as who could I purchase these from for a good price/deal on a package deal for both with both the new triggers and the safeties installed?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

I've said it before, will say it again, unless your shooting beyond 500 yards at game you don't need an ultra-mag, then it must be set up properly to be efficient.

So what are the intended purposes for these rifles, the 30/06 will do what the ultramag will do to 500 yards easily.
RR

Explain on why it is redundant?

were I am at we have vast open area's as well as heavily wooded. also from fox's to deer to bear. I am seeking for fun/pleasure(target) as well as hunting. Also with alot of take down to it too be it 10 yards to 500+ yards. I am new to this to a point. So bare with me. So more info and resoning you and others can throw at me, PLEASE do so. Also on what bolt action rifles would be best vs stay clear of. I want accuracy as well as perfomance.

But also bottom line is I want a good hard impact,were as I said 10 yards to 500+ when Isqueeze that trigger and it hits my target it is lights out and will not suffer. or have to go chaseit down it is down were it got it.

Alsoone more thing I and seeking safety and reliablity as well too.so any and all suggestions would deeply be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto. There really is no real point in getting a 30-06 and a 300 mag. Spread you cartridges out a little bit.

If you like the ultra mag case then I would go with the 30-06 and 338 ultra mag but they don't chamber the 338 in the sendero. The 338UM will add much more to the table than the 300UM would over the 30-06.

Unless you are going to be hunting from Oregon, North along the West coastthe XCR won't really benefit you much at all over regualr stainless which still isn't that much of a benefit over blued steel if you aren't one to put your guns up wet and let them sit there.

Personally, if you have to have a sendero I would get it in the 264 Win mag and get the 338RUMin the XCR.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the term want. Therefore 2 guns in the identical cal. still isn't redundant because it is a want and as long as the bucks are there to support the want everything is aok. This also holds true for choosing stailess or blued. I understand that in high humidity areas the stainless is easier to maintain but it still has to be maintained. Personally, I enjoy pampering my guns as much as I like to shoot and hunt with them. Perhaps an obsession but when it comes to maintaining my guns I take great pride. I would never buy a car that is pitted with rust so I wouldn't have to worry about washing it. To me a blued barrel and a fine walnut stock is a thingof beauty. I would much rather shoulder thatstyle of firearm than a stainless barrel with synthetic stock. I guess I just read too many hunting mags. as a child that the classic look of a deer gun is impregnated in my brain. As eldequello stated, "get ready for opinions" and that is all my words are.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Hvy69Mtl

here is what I am thinking of Model 700 Sendero SF II in a remington .300 Ultra Mag

and the Model 798 in a 30-06 springfield...

on the 30-06 springfield vs 30-06.

also having an X-Mark Pro trigger put in both and 3 way winchester style safety on both, explain what I have to do/who I would go to, to have this done? and about how much I am looking at as well as who could I purchase these from for a good price/deal on a package deal for both with both the new triggers and the safeties installed?

Wow...three posts and this guyis already yelling.

I'd say a 50 round session of full house max charge300 RUM 180 grainers would give him some better insight.

Quick Reply: Seeking Advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.