Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Seeking Advise

Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Seeking Advise

I don't mean to sound rude but you don't sound like you have a heck of a lot of experience shooting rifles. Usually an experienced shooter doesn't ask questions like you are asking. From reading your questions I would honestly recomend staying away from the ultra mags and most other magnums for a little while.

Lets just start over with some questions for you to answer.......

1) What is the hardest kicking rifle cartridge that you have ever shot?

2) How many times have you fired that rifle?

3) How often do you shoot a center firerifleon a regular basis?

4) When you do shoot a rifle, at what distance from you is the target?

5) How often do you shoot at that distance.

6) Do you reeeeeaaaalllly know how far 300, 400, 500yards is? It's a heck of a lot farther than it sounds.

What I WANT is reliability, quality and accuracy as well, most bang for the buck and knock down to a resonable distance. I do not want to take a long shot and have it not take out what I am shooting at. It maybe just something to hunt but I want it out of it's missry fast and quick and effecintly as possible.

Reliability is built into the rifle and not the cartridge with few exceptions but then we would be talking about true dangerous game cartridges.

Quality... Again, built into the rifle and not the cartridge.

Accuracy... Again, pretty much built into the rifle. Any big game cartridge can be accurate or inaccurate.

Knock down power... There is no such thing. You would do well to forget that phrase for the rest of your life. Any cartridge from the .243 up has more than enough "power" to drop most big game animals in their tracks provided you put the bullet where it needs to be do drop an animal in its tracks..... and that place is either through both shoulders or take out the central nervous system.

Most bang for the buck.... It sure as heck isn't going to be from an ultra magnum. You are going to be looking at cartridges like .270 Winchester, 30-06, .308 winchester, 7mm-08, .243 Winchester, etc... for deer sized animals and if you are going to be hunting elk, moose, and big bears then the 338 Win mag is the first pick.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 PM

Lets just start over with some questions for you to answer.......

1) What is the hardest kicking rifle cartridge that you have ever shot?

Other than millitary M16 with a 203 on it, M60, a few 06's which most thought was the thing.

2) How many times have you fired that rifle?

Millitary - quite frienquently( was part of the job to be profficiant, the 06' hmmm quiet a bit as well but been awhile now and just seeking to get back into it even deeper now.

3) How often do you shoot a center firerifleon a regular basis?

Been awhile. not seeking a repeater.

4) When you do shoot a rifle, at what distance from you is the target?

@100-200 yards in back yard.

5) How often do you shoot at that distance.

weekly/montly and as I stated wanting to get into it more now, got more time on hand and all.

6) Do you reeeeeaaaalllly know how far 300, 400, 500yards is? It's a heck of a lot farther than it sounds.

Oh yes.... and you got the right it is a HECK of a distance. even to walk it and further too almost every day.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you planning on handloading or buying factory ammo? If factory ammo you will be spending a fortune for the RUM's, I also agree with adding some spacing to you guns. Do you currently have any and if so what are they? I would suggest for your light rifle be a 25-06 and for the heavier game a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag. You'll save a lot of money on ammo and you won't be beating yourself up with recoil that you don't necessarily need.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ok, you have shot a little more than I would have thought.

I would still stay away from the ultra mags for a little while though.

Really, I think you would do well with a .270 Winchester, 7mm-08class of cartrigeand a 300 Win mag, .338 Win mag. This will absolutely cover everything from coyotes to Brown Bears and be an excelent bang for the buck and both will have more than enough "power" to get the job done to well beyond 300 or 400yards on the game they were inted for. You will almost never need to shoot past 300 yards any way.

Like I said above, quality, reliability and accuracy are more a function of the rifle.

An ultra mag kicks a lot and has a huge amount of muzzle blast and since you said that you are getting back into rifle shooting/ hunting after an absenseyou may not want to start out with that much recoil and blast. A 300RUM will kick abouttwice ashardas the30-06. That's pretty signifigant. A box of full power RUM will also cost you $60 and up for a box of 20. Not exactly a "bang for the buck" type of cartridge.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 PM

what about .270 and a 06 or a .264 and an 06?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 PM

I notices that 150g vs 180g that some 150g get better performance on 300
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

.264 and 30-06.

.270 is too close to the 30-06 to make one signifigantly better than the other at any one job.

Just a FYI. Remington isn't the only manufacturer that offers a heavy barreled big game rifle. FNH, Ruger, Browningalso makes some very nice, heavy barreled, precision rifles in big game chamberings.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 PM

ok now calibers, now which ones would do well, I kinda like the Remington ones, like wood stocks but unsure iwould be better than this synthetics any opinions on that and which models?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 PM

Winchester Model 70, Super Grade kinda appealed to me.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hvy69Mtl

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ANYTHING that you can kill with a .300 RUM, you can also kill with a .30-06. About the only thing the RUM does is extend your range. You just have to get a little closer with the '06.

Alternatively, the RUM has a variety of "power level" ammo, so you can buy factory rounds loaded to .30-06, .300 Win Mag, and .300 RUM power levels, which clearly makes the '06 and RUM redundant.

If it were me, I'd want more separation between calibers. It would be helpful to know more about where/what you plan to hunt. i.e. "Bears" is a pretty broad term. There's a big difference between a 150 lb black bear and brown bears or polar bears.

I don't much care for magnums, and wouldn't use one unless I was hunting for something that might consider me a food item. So, I'd probably go with something like a .243, or a .257 Roberts or a .25-06 for a "smaller" cartridge, and a .308 or .30-06 for bigger stuff, up to and including elk/moose. If I was going to limit myself to a "2 gun" arsenal, I wouldn't choose to .308 caliber cartidges...

hmmmm .264 in a 700 Sendero SF II, or a .270 in a 798 or Mountain LSSor 700 XCR. and a 30-06 in a 700 XCR or 798 or Mountain LSS.

Which would be best with which caliber if given these choices and calibers? When wanting to hunt from deer to bear( all sizes/breeds)to elk to moose?

in your opinions?
Get the Remington model 700xcr in 30-06

Quick Reply: Seeking Advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.