Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking for a 22

Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking for a 22

To those that think 10/22s are ugly-wait till I get mine done and I'll post pics. It'll be equipped with hand carved AAAA claro or french walnut classic stock with shadowline cheekpiece,18lpi hand checkering,pillar bedded with additional action screw(rear),top quality (hart,lilja or snieder)win pre 64 featherweight contour octagon barrel threaded into action,leupold 3x-9x-32mm efr scope.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:40 PM
DM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

To those that think 10/22s are ugly-wait till I get mine done and I'll post pics. It'll be equipped with hand carved AAAA claro or french walnut classic stock with shadowline cheekpiece,18lpi hand checkering,pillar bedded with additional action screw(rear),top quality (hart,lilja or snieder)win pre 64 featherweight contour octagon barrel threaded into action,leupold 3x-9x-32mm efr scope.
And it will still sit in your hand like a beached whale!

DM
Old 05-10-2008, 06:49 AM

I said STOCK 10/22, drop enough money into any rifle and it will look good.

Paul
Old 05-10-2008, 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

And a 10/22 isn't? Must be in the eye of beholder because I think stock 10/22's are about the ugliest rifle I have ever seen.

And I honestly can't tell a marlin bolt action and a savage apart without picking them up and looking at them. They are pretty much the same guns to me.

Paul
You're quitean argumentative sort ain't ya...

I'm not the only one who thinks all things Savage got whacked with the ugly stick on the drawing board upon conception. I'd take a 10/22 over a Savage any day,and if there weren't any 10/22's left, I'd go without. But that's just my opinion.

When I mentioned a Marlin 39 I was talking about one of the sweetest looking and finest shooting lever guns on the market...not a Marlinbolt gun.

ThisWinny 1885though, just eeks of simple grace...

Old 05-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought this Remington 582 the other day in near unfired condition, with a nice clear Bushnell scope for $175.00.

I'd much rather have it than any 10/22...

The 500 series Remingtons were some of the best rimfires ever made, and most shoot right with the best 22's ever made...

Nice rifle, and I agree 100%.

I wouldn't trade my 581 for all of the 10/22s in the world.

FWIW, I often shoot NRA rimfire silhoutte matches and take notice of what others are shooting. You need a rifle that is both accurate and well balanced to shoot to play this game and have any hope of placing well. I've maybe seen 2- 10/22s on the line before, most rifles used are CZ452s, remington 513, 521, 541,580 series, Winchester 52s, Anschutz, Mossberg, and Savage MKIIs.
You can get build a 10/22 to shoot nearlyas well as any of the rifles I listed above by removing all of the ruger parts except the receiver and replacing them with volquartsen parts, but you'l end up with a rifle that costs more than most rifles on the list but balances like a blonde teenager with a quart of gin in her.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I mentioned a Marlin 39 I was talking about one of the sweetest looking and finest shooting lever guns on the market...not a Marlinbolt gun
The marlin 39A will probably be my next .22.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:54 AM

I personally think 10/22's are crap out of the box, just my opinion though. I just find it odd that you can say savages are ugly when they pretty much look like every other bolt action rimfire on the market?

And many think lever guns are ugly too. Like I said it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Paul
Old 05-10-2008, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I personally think 10/22's are crap out of the box, just my opinion though. I just find it odd that you can say savages are ugly when they pretty much look like every other bolt action rimfire on the market?

And many think lever guns are ugly too. Like I said it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Paul
A wood paneled minivan with soccer mom stickers on it"looks" like any other car because it has four wheels and goes...but that doesn't mean it looks likeand does the same thing as myton Chevy.

Savage has come a long way in the past 30 or so years, but only because the market demanded a better product, else they sink into oblivian. I'll not ever buy one of their products because there's much more out there that's proven better bang for the buck. That's my advice to the original poster and I'm sticking to it.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

A wood paneled minivan with soccer mom stickers on it"looks" like any other car because it has four wheels and goes...but that doesn't mean it looks likeand does the same thing as myton Chevy.
Savage, Marlin, Kimber, Weatherby, and the new remington bolt action .22s all look nearly identical with the exception of the stock material and level of finish. They all function pretty much the same and for the price differecne between the cheapest model listed and the most expensive, they don't shoot that much differrently.

I'll not ever buy one of their products because there's much more out there that's proven better bang for the buck.
I personally think that Savage .22s are one of the best deals for the dollar as far as new rifles are concerned. I do have one in the form a MKII youth model for my son and am very pleased with how it looks, functions, and shoots.

CZ 452s and Ruger 77/22s are a lot more pleasing to look at however.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:47 PM

Here are some of the guns in Savages line up.

Centerfires

Rimfires

Every one of these are butt ugly and I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me. Savage is not what it used be 20 years ago, they make some very nice looking rifles that shoot very well at respectable prices. The nice thing is even the cheap ugly ones still shoot good.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.