Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Varmint Hunting Rifle

Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Spike

Default Varmint Hunting Rifle

Im trying to decide which rifle would make the most sense to me but I cant quite make up my mind. Ive settled on the 204 but I cant decide which brand. I have compared the Remington, the Howa, and also Savage. To be honest the Howa actually looks and from what I read shoots the best. Im just a little apprehensive about buying a Howa. Has anyone used them? They may be really popular but I personally dont know crap about them.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Varmint Hunting Rifle

I have a Howa 1500 Varminter Supreme in 223. Love it, for the money it's much better than a Remington in my opinion. Savages while not the prettiest gun in the world are quite well made and have a reputation for being some of the most accurate out of the box rifles made.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would find a good predator hunting forum and see how many 204's are for sale. I'd strongly recommend finding someone who is a successful varmit hunter to share his opinon of the 204. All the brands you mentioned are fine, but you can find a much better caliber. The 22/250 or the .223 would be a much better choice in my opinion.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Spike

I was gonna go with 223 at first but then I head that the 204 shot a little flatter. They say it is more sensitive to the wind but for the flatter trajectory I might have to sacrifice a little bit heavier cartridge.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zach you have come to the right place for advice. However for someone to give you advice you need to supply a lot more information about what you want to do. What type varmints, what ranges do you want to shoot at, location you are shooting at, your hunting style, your experience, do you handload. In order to get good information you need to supply good information. Tom.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zachw

I was gonna go with 223 at first but then I head that the 204 shot a little flatter. They say it is more sensitive to the wind but for the flatter trajectory I might have to sacrifice a little bit heavier cartridge.
If your goingafter yotes, than I would reconsider. I know of several good hunters that have complained about the effectiveness of their 204's. They are very fast, and very flat, but the results have not been that great. The 204 rifles and ammo are not cheap. If you're gonna pay the money anyway, get the 22/250! If you're goning to be hunting a lot of PD's and plan on shooting a ton of rounds, go with the .223! Good Luck with whatever you decide!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you reload? If you do you might want to look into a .220 Swift.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

I have a Howa 1500 Varminter Supreme in 223. Love it, for the money it's much better than a Remington in my opinion.
I the same gun in .243 My feelings are the same.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger M77 MKII target .220 swift!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

The howa is the exact action as a weatherby vanguard, they have been making quality rifles for years, started out as the S&W 1500 from the early 80's and were imported by various companies till several years ago and started importing through liberty sports under they're own name, nothing wrong with a howa, or the 204 for yotes but ya need the right bullet in the right place.
RR
Howa makes the vanguard for Weatherby. I would definitely trust the brand.

Quick Reply: Varmint Hunting Rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.