Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Mounts?

Old 05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Best Mounts?

Have used leupold mounts in the past, and without trouble.

Though I'm wondering what I should use for my next rifle....considering talleys.....also heard they make lightweight talleys, though how much can a mount save you? I'd much prefer quality mount that weighed a few ounces more than one that saved me a few ounces, especially on a mount, I'm kinda thinking, bigger/tougher would produce a more accurate scope/rifle.

Though any suggestions for talleys or other style mounts? My leupolds have been the single dovetail style.

Pretty much sold on the Talley's, but now which Talley's? Weight isn't much of an issue. 1 piece? 2 piece? won't need quick releases.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Mounts?

I like the Warne bases and rings. They allow a lot of adjustment for different length scopes, and are very strong. The Leupold mounts are high quality, but they do not allow for much adjustment, and IMO they must be hand lapped if you care about your scope. Below is a picture of a Warne base and a Leupold base(both for the same rifle). You can easily see the difference in length, so there is considerably more adjustment in the Warne. I also believe the Warne is stronger(because you can put the rings farther apart). Tom.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Overall I like Tally mounts
Old 05-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Talley LW's are, IMHO of course,the best mounts on the planet...............
Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

top 2 mounts made currently:

[ol][*]Talley[*]Conetrol[/ol]
Talley lightweights are made of 7075 alloy(75000 tensile) and are standard on NULA rifles which will really strain a scope/mount combo. They are however non detachable. I don't think there is a finer detachable ring on the market then Talley QD's. Their customer service is second to none as well. Good people to deal with. I have seen the recent SS Talley Screw Lock rings and they are nice as well but 50% or so over the price of regular Talleys(not cheap). If you can get a scope to slip in a Conetrol ring you really need to consider another lighter recoiling cartridge because it would take one heck of a powder charge to make one slip. They are easiest the most streamlined rings on the market. First time users will say they are a PITA but after you have done 1 or more they are easier to put in place and they stay there. They are also windage adjustable not many brands can say that .
Old 05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about those one piece DeadNutz units? HAs anyone used them?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've used Weaver style, Leupold, Burris and Control in the past and had good luck with all of them. I recently read an article that claimed that the old Weaver style is probably the strongest mount you can get. The author made some good points.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm pretty sold on the Talley's if not I'll just use the leupolds.....so which Talleys?

I see they have 1 piece? aluminum?

I really don't need aluminum, less its better? weight of a ring isn't an issue to me.

do i want 1 piece? 2 piece? I won't need quick release.....
Old 05-03-2008, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I've used Weaver style, Leupold, Burris and Control in the past and had good luck with all of them. I recently read an article that claimed that the old Weaver style is probably the strongest mount you can get. The author made some good points.
I actually prefer a steel Weaver style base and ring to the Redfield/Leupold syle base and rings. I feel they're stronger as well. I've had good luck with the Burris Signature rings and a Weaver style base.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about those one piece DeadNutz units? HAs anyone used them?

Not Nutz about them

Quick Reply: Best Mounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.