Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Mounts?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Mounts?

I've used Weaver style, Leupold, Burris and Control in the past and had good luck with all of them. I recently read an article that claimed that the old Weaver style is probably the strongest mount you can get. The author made some good points.
Barring Tactical type mounts I seriously doubt any normal sportsman needs anything stronger then a Conetrol or Talley setup.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

How about those one piece DeadNutz units? HAs anyone used them?

Not Nutz about them
Why's that?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why's that?
A gunsmith or someone that knows what they are doing should mount them on a rifle otherwise they have the ability to damage a scope.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

The pastfew yearsI have been buying Warne Maixima's and no complaints. Leupolds have also been good to me. Right now the Talley LW's seem to be the hot ticket; cheaper, lighter and as strongas comparable qualitysteel mounts.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just installed a Nikon Monarch on a Remington 700 long action and used the Talley Lightweights. They lookgood on the rifle and seem to be a strong mounting system.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 AM

I normally use leupold or warn. I like the warn quick detach mounts myself. I personally like leupold bases with the Burris rings using the centering rings. I forget the name of them. Very nice set up. I like being able to adjust windage into the mount when setting a scope up.

Paul
Old 05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Burris Signature rings with the inserts that eliminates having to lap the inside of rings to protect your scope. I havea Nikon mounted on my300 saum with Signature rings on Burris 2 piece bases with the back base having the windage adjustment and nothing has moved yet after a lot of rounds.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Head.... Can you give me some more info about needing to lap the Leupold DD's? I Have them on 3 different rifles. Burris on one, Redfield for oneand the rest have plain old Weavers.....never a minutes trouble out of any of them.For the price you'd be hard pressed to beat the Weavers. Anything but the big ol see thru mounts...lmao.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main problem with the Leupold system is that it is basically impossible to get the rings perfectly aligned. So what you have to do is align them as best as you can. Then you need to "lap" them. Lapping the "bottoms" is basically all that is needed. I do lap my rings with the "tops" on, but they need to be on loosely. Just use a lapping rod and a little lapping compound. Normally if you do not lap the rings then you will be "torquing" the scope when you tighten up the rings. If the rings are lapped properly it is almost impossible for the scope to slide in the rings(without even being tightened). Lapping yields much more bearing surface on the rings. Normally when you see ring marks on a scope the cause is misaligned rings. Does this help??

IMO the "Weaver style" is the strongest system you can go for. The "Picatinney" system is basically a spin off of the Weaver system. I prefer the Warne because it is steel and not aluminum. Tom.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

top 2 mounts made currently:
[ol][*]Talley[*]Conetrol[/ol]

Talley lightweights are made of 7075 alloy(75000 tensile) and are standard on NULA rifles which will really strain a scope/mount combo. They are however non detachable. I don't think there is a finer detachable ring on the market then Talley QD's. Their customer service is second to none as well. Good people to deal with. I have seen the recent SS Talley Screw Lock rings and they are nice as well but 50% or so over the price of regular Talleys(not cheap). If you can get a scope to slip in a Conetrol ring you really need to consider another lighter recoiling cartridge because it would take one heck of a powder charge to make one slip. They are easiest the most streamlined rings on the market. First time users will say they are a PITA but after you have done 1 or more they are easier to put in place and they stay there. They are also windage adjustable not many brands can say that .

If they are any tougher to install as the Buhlers They must be rough..............................

Quick Reply: Best Mounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.