Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

great deal on a .22 hornet from cabelas

Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default great deal on a .22 hornet from cabelas

Greetings all.

I've been looking looking to get a 22 hornet to balance out my 870 wingmaster as part of my "turkey arsenal"

A good buddy of mine has one and they seem (to me) to be the perfect turkey rifle (if one prefers to go that route)

Anyway, I just wanted to get something utilitarian in nature and was looking at an NEF handi-rifle. I noticed that NEF doesn't make that caliber anymore but still a few places around could order me a leftover for about$250.00

I called the Cabelas in Hamburg, PA to see if they had any used ones and I was once again pleasantly surprised by the amount of customer service I received from them. The "outfitter" there said they had none but was happy to check a database for every storeto see if anyone had one. Lo and behold the Cabelas in FT Worth had a used one for $100.00!!!

I called down there and they found it for me and the guy gave me an overview of what condition the gun was in. He said that while no tree-huggers would be upset about the death of the tree used for the stock of that rifle, the bore looked clean and overall the gunhad very little wear and tear. What else do you want for $100.00??? I'm having it shipped to the Hamburg store and going to pick it up next week.

I love buying guns.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: great deal on a .22 hornet from cabelas

perfect turkey rifle egh? I was wondering if a .22-250 would work well for out west....? I use the 12 ga around here, since I don't think we can even use a rifle on turkey, but to me it makes great sense if you can blast one from 300yds or more......why not, sure beats 30 or 40yds with a shotgun.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

True, the 22-250 would reach out and touch a turkey a lot further than the ol' hornet...but I'm just looking for a short range rifle that won't tear them up too bad...not really looking to shoot turkeys too long range...just even the odds with the bird that "hang up" a little far. i actually walked up on a fat gobbler feeding out in a field (about 100 yds) who wouldn't even look up when I called. This gun is for him.

It may be my calling of course although I have killed several with the ol'wingmaster. It just seems like here in WV they historically brought the season in too late and now they've made it a week later...that and our coyote problem ( believe) is definately making the action slower in SOME areas.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your choice of the Hornet for what you want is a good one, in my mind. If it doesn't perform as you had hoped, you may want to consider a .222 Rem. It's also been used quite successfully for a turkey rife for many years.....negligible recoil, mild report, generally very accurate.....
Old 05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great choice on the hornet for a small rifle! Do you reload? If so you can have it rechambered to K-hornet(what the hornet should have been in the 1st place). You can fireform by simply shooting factory ammo,and enjoy-better accuracy,longer case life,200 fps more velocity,easier extraction,and less picky on loads.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, shooting a turkey at 300 yards doesn't require any skill other than with a pair of binoculars. While I prefer a rifle and would still use a .22-250 if the occasion warranted, a big part of the enjoyment of spring turkey is calling those toms in and watching them strut before you toast them at 25 yards or less.

.223 is proving a bit much for them in my experience, though. .22-250 even more so I'd suspect. Don't know about something in the range of the .221 Fireball, but have considered a .22 Hornet myself.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will fall in love with the Hornet, I know I did. Its perfect for what you want and will bring deer down with neck shotswith authority. I have a handi hornet as well. I upgraded the stock on mne.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies guys

What kind of a scope you got on yours zrex???
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: homers brother

IMO, shooting a turkey at 300 yards doesn't require any skill other than with a pair of binoculars. While I prefer a rifle and would still use a .22-250 if the occasion warranted, a big part of the enjoyment of spring turkey is calling those toms in and watching them strut before you toast them at 25 yards or less.

.223 is proving a bit much for them in my experience, though. .22-250 even more so I'd suspect. Don't know about something in the range of the .221 Fireball, but have considered a .22 Hornet myself.
Well what about deer and elk hunting?You do the same thing,do you carry a pair of binoculars when deer hunting?Most people do and you sit in the edge of a field and wait for them to come out and if they come out you look at them through your binos and pickone out and then BANG FLOP!You have a dead deer.So,turkey hunting with a rifle takes just as much skill as deer hunting with a rifle takes.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I think your getting a real good deal. Thats a nice little rifle. You ll be happy with it. If you re not let me know, Ive been looking for one

Quick Reply: great deal on a .22 hornet from cabelas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.