Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How important is barrel length?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Default RE: How important is barrel length?

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

I guess you haven't been to to many competitive matches

"Neither do skinny ones.........grins."

You've been misled.
Gunner.......

I've seen me hunt, shoot, hump a mountain or two, and build at least onerifle....and can say I've faired pretty well in my pursuits.

What continually amazes me is, less a rod,I only need cast a line to the ripples and hook a Good Fish........

Congrats, as you played the line well.......................

Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

personally have the 700 sps Varmint with the 26" heavy barrel. i went with the long heavy barrel for the weight. i just find i hold the rifle steadier than i do one with a short or light barrel.

i dont know if that theory holds water...but thats what ive found with heavy rifles...my rifle is so top heavy i have to sling it upside down...i about lost it when i went to sling it for the first time...it went flipping backwards barrel speeding for hte ground...somehow i caught it.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Nice Fish Wilds!

I'm not saying short barrels don't shoot fantastic and I'm also not saying you absolutly need a heavy barrel. They can all shoot great. Comments were made that a short heavy barrel to tends to be more accurate. This simply isn't the case. I have short skinny barrels that shoot good, short fat barrels that shoot good, long skinny barrels that shoot good and right now my best shooting gun has a 33" 1 1/4" straight barrel that shoots better than any other gun I own at any distance. I'm certainly not going to cut several inches off so it's shorter cause I seriously doubt it is going to improve accuracy.

I agree every gun has an optimum barrel length. This depends on loads and bullets you intend to use.That doesn't mean in every case the shorter barrel will prevail. If that were the case every rifle on the market would have an 18 1/2" barrel.

Stick with the 26" barrel length like mauser said for anything else the weight. I have my doubts you'll be dissapointed.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 PM

I canlike barrel/chamber interiors as a determining factor above and beyond contour as I've wrung out more than a few.....providing lands, grooves and dimensional attributes arepristine.

Junk won't shoot and it's tuff to whoop on a Good Barrel.....

I tend to lean heavily on OCW load R&Dprinciples and have seen many skinny/short contours outdo fat/long....against mainstream opine.

Timing projectile exitvia the upper end of data is the key to"accuracy", AND skookumkillitude.

I've long held the standard thatGood Barrel + Good Trigger + Good Nut Behind The Trigger equals a lot dead stuff....
Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

The longer barrel will usually make the gun heavier, which usually makes it easier to hold steady for LR shooting.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like 20-22" barrels myself. No need for extra "brush catching" length in my opinion.

My most accurate rifle I own has a 26" tube on it, and I'm seriously thinking of chopping it down.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

"skookum killtude"....????? WTF ???? Most of us don't speak "jive turkey"...
Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 AM

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

The longer barrel will usually make the gun heavier, which usually makes it easier to hold steady for LR shooting.
Barrel weight is a non issue shooting longer yardage over 'pods and a backpack...

Unrested shots are an easy way to miss......................
Old 05-01-2008, 04:01 AM

Noonein my AOspeaks "jive turkey" either...as that conjures images of racial slants tossed back and forth, if it were pressed further.

Speaks volumes that you cant cypher the meaning of "skookum" and "killitude"........nor put the two in conjunction.

Have something to do with almost hailing from WV...??
Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wilds

Noonein my AOspeaks "jive turkey" either...as that conjures images of racial slants tossed back and forth, if it were pressed further.

Speaks volumes that you cant cypher the meaning of "skookum" and "killitude"........nor put the two in conjunction.

Have something to do with almost hailing from WV...??
Wow.....Must have touched a sore spot! Why do you want to jump up so quick and insinuate that anything from my post heads the racial way??
As for "skookum" and "killitude", I was unable to find either in the Dictionary. I can imagine that I could put a handle on the definition of "killitude" if I had to, but sorry, "skookum" sounds like something a person may call a housedog.
And as for the WV slur, you probably stepped into it bigtime with that one....

Quick Reply: How important is barrel length?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.