Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Glass Bedding

Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Glass Bedding

I recently purchased a Boyds laminate for my Ruger 270wsm and found that the action is shifting in the stock even though the action screws are tight. For those of you that have bedded a stock how much material do you guys normally remove from around the recoil lug and the tang. I figure to bed the tang and the first two inches of the barrel and then open up the barrel channel to free float the rest. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:45 PM

Default RE: Glass Bedding

Just a little bit, as too much will just add work....

'Tain't set in stone and a skim bed is better than nothin'......and is often done with good results.

Bed the chamber area of the barrelat the same time, if it don't help, it's easily removed.....

Give the bottom, sides and front of the lug someclearance with a thickness of masking tape.

Rugers can be a sumbich to get right, use 2 coats of One Shot Case Lube as a release agent.......

Old 04-26-2008, 11:46 PM

Should add that Marine-Tex is the magic word............
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ruger is not an easy action to bed . I would bed the shank part of the barrel and the tang and not remove any material from the stock. Just a light skm coat . Use stockmakers screws and tighten them litely and use some surgical tubing around the action. Put some tape on the front of the lug.Last few bedding jobs I have done involved using score hi epoxy. This is really super stuff and it is not a critical mix.You can get it from Midway or directly from them. If you want more hassle use the various Brownell acraglas products.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already ordered the Miles Gilbert Bedrock kit. I liked the option of the micro-beads to adjust the consistancy of the epoxy. This really through me off, when I got the stock I had to open up the magazine well for it to fit but made no other mods to the bedding areas. When I got out to the range after one box of my factory dup handloads I was all over the target, looked down and realized the action shifted. I was not a happy camper.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever think about putting in Pillars?? The adjustable one's that Brownell's sells are the berries. And they are fairly easy to install. A lot easier(IMO), easily as effective(sometimes more), and a whole lot less messier?? Tom.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I already ordered the Miles Gilbert Bedrock kit. I liked the option of the micro-beads to adjust the consistancy of the epoxy. This really through me off, when I got the stock I had to open up the magazine well for it to fit but made no other mods to the bedding areas.

You do the same with the Score-HI add the microbeads to thicken. I actually had a Sako that came from the factory that way(greywolf) and it was loose as a goose in the stock. It darn met it 's accuracy warranty though(scratching head). Good thing about bedding is you can always redo it if not satisfactory That's one thing I wish Ruger would change ( the angled bedding screw)
Old 04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of all the various bedding products I 've tried the be honest Devcon Stainless Steel was the easiest to work with.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your input guys, I broke out the dremel and removed 1/16" from around the tang screw hole and the chamber area of the barrel. Removed the barreled action and did the minor touch ups on the areas that had some air pockets. What a difference. I think I'll be bedding the rest of my rifles now. I can't wait to see how this gun will shoot now that the trigger and bedding is done.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 PM

Bedding IS part of the recipe......

Quick Reply: Glass Bedding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.