Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Source for Winchester Parts????

Old 02-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Source for Winchester Parts????

Well...........
I got the side back from the welder this afternoon. It appears that they did an excellent job with it - all the holes seem to line up well and clearances seem fine.

I have everything reassembled and the slide feels fine. In fact, it feels like there is a little more spring pressure on the bolt than before - maybe being apart for 3 days allowed the op springs a chance to expand a little.

Anyway, I' m planning on taking it to the range tomorrow (weather permitting) to find out for sure. If I don' t post a report in a day or two, watch the obituary or strange events sections of your local papers............if something doesn' t work right, I might make the " Big Time" the hard way [] .
Old 03-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Bummer............

The range was closed this weekend for repairs.
Weather permitting, I' ll try the repairs Tuesday morning.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Bummer............

The range was closed this weekend for repairs.
Weather permitting, I' ll try the repairs Tuesday morning.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winchester Parts???? -- Range Report

Woo - Hooo!!!!

The welded Op Arm is working fine . I put about 40rds through it this morning and the gun operated flawlessly.

Accuracy wasn' t too great (due to some stock fitting issues), but I now have full confidence in the gun' s operating system - at least for the short term anyway.

I' m still planning on replacing it as a hunting platform with something new though............maybe a Browning A-Bolt or a Savage 10FP-LE2 in .308.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Great to hear, that the weld worked and it functioned flawlessly. For accuracy, I have found one a couple of my M-100' s (I have 6, four .308' s and two .284' s) that a forearm pillar and bedding has improved accuracy dramatically. What I did was make a pillar bushing to fit in the forearm between the forearm screw lug on the barrel and the screw anchor in the stock. I am not of the exact deminssions of the bushings, but I made them out of 1/2" round stock and I believe they were about 3/8" long. I drill them out to allow for the screw to pass thru with plenty of clearance, then drilled the end that mates up with the screw retaining lug on the barrel out to match the taper. I then opened up the area around the screw anchor in the forearm of the stock, to allow room for the pillar. What I wanted to do, was to get the pillar to mate up with the lug on the barrel and bottom out on the anchor in the stock at the same, while allowing the barrel to just clear the stock in the bottom of the barrel at the forearm tip by a few thousandths. Once I got the fit that I wantedwith the pillar, I went in and opened up the forearm tip, that last 2" or 3" that is solid where the forearm screw is, by sanding it out until I had approximately 1/8" clearance of the barrel. I then bedded that section of the stock with the pillar and barrel in place. Then afterward, I opened up the stock side rails until I had approximately .050" clearance on both side rails of the stock and the barrel. It helped the accuracy on a couple of mine that were absolutely horrible, like 6" groups at 100, now they shot in the 1.5" range with loads they like.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

That' s just too funny 1 Shot..........

Building a front pillar shim like you describe is EXACTLY what I was thinking about doing. I' m planning on stripping & refinishing the stock soon and that is probably exactly what I' m gonna do. Until then, I did add a washer between the stock and the screw lug and took a slight bit of wood off of those final 3" of stock - that gave me just enough space to slip a piece of paper between the stock & barrel. I don' t have to mess with taking out any wood along the rest of the way toward the action, as there is already a lot of play between the slide & the wood.

In your work, did you try just lifting up the pillar some without bedding the stock forend? I was thinking that just free-floating it a little might be all that was required.

Have you noticed any problem with the rear recoil lug (that screws against the stock behind the action) working loose against the wood?? That was my problem yesterday - the receiver was not being held tight against that lug and it was moving up and down as much as 1/16th of an inch!! I added 2 washer shims between the stock and the lug and reassembled everything and the receiver feels nice & snug now.

Now I' ll have to hit the range Friday morning (weather permitting) to see if works well this way. I do exact to see much better groups than I have in recent times.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

That' s good Mark.Sure beats scraping it.The welds will be the strongest part.
Enjoy it.
Ruger Redhawk