Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shot Placement

Old 02-21-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Shot Placement

Where do you think the best place to shot a deer is(in the body). For some reason every time I shoot a deer the tenderlion gets destroied no matter how good I place the shot.

Old 02-21-2003, 03:00 PM

Default RE: Shot Placement

deliberately shooting deer in the tenderloins, you can' t be serious?!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:54 PM

Gee,
I' m glad I looked at this thread!

BK
Old 02-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need to bring that aim point directly down on the animal. When you aim do you by chance go of the neck and then straight back? Are you sighted in to high for your average shot? Or sighted in rather short and feel you need to hold high? How are you at estimated yardage? Do you have a rangefinder? When I started hunting I had a hard time estimating range, I found I would usually aim high to prevent a miss or nick. I would also come of the base of neck where it meets shoulder and back...often sending the bullet a little high. So yes I did hit a few spines and tenderloins too. Since then my ranging, tech, shooting and confidence is much improved. I aim about 1" back of the elbow in most cases for a straight on through vital hit.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

shoot it in the head is the best place.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since the poster replied he doesn' t aim at the loins but still hits them, I think he needs some refining or practice. I am not really sure advising him to take head shots, is the best solution here. Not that it won' t drop them, but a botched head shot is much worse than a wreck backstrap in my books.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I am within 100 yards, a short shot where I hunt, I will go for the neck or head shot. Beyond that I go for the double lung shot. I have NEVER seeen a double lung shot deer go more than 30-50 yards. If my rifle will not hit a pocker chip at 100 yards then It goes back to the range until it will. The day before season my rifle gets the pocker chip test.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:11 AM

I just find the front shoulder and find a point just behind it. It works for me, but the biggest thing is practice, and making sure that you are comfortable with your gun. After the scope is sighted in you can' t do much more than just practice. Another thing is where you place your finger on the trigger. Sometimes you can pull the shot off if you have your finger rapped around the trigger. I am sure there are more experienced hunters that know more than I do, but that is just my take. Hope it helps.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I aim for the heart/lung area! Ok,your turn popeye...
Old 02-22-2003, 12:15 PM

Thanks for calling me stupid here on the bb and then calling me a stupid teenager in the personal e-mail that you sent to me. If you read your first post it states that " every time I shoot a deer the tenderloin gets destroyed" . How in the world due you hit the back everytime if you' re not using the spine as a target? I stand by my original statement. The main issue is that you should have asked the question about shot placement before you pulled the trigger not afterward. Everytime you place your sites on an animal or target you should asked yourself if this is the proper shot placement before pulling the trigger. If you' re not using the spine as a target and still hitting it then you need to get to the range and practice. Also, try using a spell check. Normally a few spelling errors aren' t a big deal to me but since, in your opinion, I' m a stupid teenager I have a hard time reading posts that contain a large amount of spelling errors. A little work on your grammer wouldn' t hurt but that is probably asking too much.

If you want to disagree with any of my statements or opinions that I put on the bb then do so on the bb, that' s why it' s here. Sending me personal e-mail is both inappropriate and childish on your part. If you want someone to agree with everything you post then maybe this isn' t the best forum for you. For the record, it' s been more than 20yrs since someone called me a teenager.

Quick Reply: Shot Placement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.