Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shot Placement

Old 03-17-2003, 04:22 AM

Default RE: Shot Placement

i always aim right behind the shoulder in the center of the deers body. or aim for the other side of the shoulder.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

DBL00BK ,

Can you answer the question asked earlier ( for clarification)
tenderloins are inside the body cavity just above the hips
Loins are outside the body cavity along the either side of the spine with the ribs ( think rib eye or chops)

Thanks
Old 03-17-2003, 09:30 AM

hey kodiak i thought the best place to shoot one was in the back yard while you are hangin that 30.06 out the bedroom window. thats my kind of huntin. thens its back to bed
Old 03-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Click, I only did that once...honest.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

DBL, you had response and your actions post some of them has led people to think your a [&:]. What exactly are you looking for in this post? b/c from where I sit it seems the reponse you got is pretty clear.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

This may help you out a little more that " by the truck" .

I worked on a rifle range for a while. And I noticed that if your shots are going ' up and down' as in you tend to shoot in the right area, just consistant hitting higher and lower than your bull' s eye, then it' s most likily that your breathing while you shoot. Always before your pull the trigger take a deep breath in and hold it for a second, then exhale slowly until you let about half your air out then hold your breath and squeeze the trigger.

If your shots are going left and right of the bull' s eye, then you are probably jerking the trigger. Many things can cause trigger jerking, your gun may be the problem. If the trigger on your gun is too heavy, then it may serve you well to take it to a gunsmith and have it lightened. I like about a 2-2 1/2 pound pull on my rifles and about 3 pounds on my shotguns. Other problems may be that the trigger just needs cleaned and oiled. But the problem of jerking may not go away. Remember to " squeeze" the trigger not pull it. Just put pressure on the trigger until it fires. Every shot should be a suprize when it goes off.

Another problem is that you maybe " overgunned" . What kind of deer rifle do you shoot? Some people are more tolerant of kick than others. Even a 30-30 can kick pretty bad if your not used to it. That hard kick can cause you to flinch when you shoot. And if you flinch every time you shoot, that becomes a habit and becomes hard to break. Try shooting an air gun or .22 for a while to build good shooting habits. When you shoot your deer rifle, put a sandbag or something similar between the rifle butt and your shoulder, this will dampen the recoil.Another thing that can cause you to flinch is how loud your gun is, always wear ear protection on the range. When I first started using a 30-06 I wore one ear plug while hunting.

And if you are doing good on the range but not when your are hunting, I' m guessing it could be " buck fever" . There isn' t much that you can do about this except get used to your gun and " expect" the deer to come. Be ready at all times. When that deer walks out it should not be a suprize, you should always expect it to come out. Take a deep breath and calm down. Don' t look at the antlers, focus on the spot that you want to hit. Right on the shoulder or right behind it. Then raise your aim, wait for the deer to stop " or whistle at it" put the crosshairs on the spot you want to hit (keep focusing on it" then squeeze the trigger. Now go get your deer.