Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mossberg 835 turkey gun.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Default mossberg 835 turkey gun.

I just bought a mossberg 835 turkey gun (in mossy oak camo). I have looked it over now that I have it at home, and all though some assemble was required (slid in barrel, tighten down special nut on mag. tube) it looks like its gona be a great turkey gun.
It came with some fiber optic sights, and while I am leary of haveing a red any thing on my persons or just plain near me while hunting turkeys[&:][:'(] (safty issue here, there are some crazy dudes in the woods some times!!) I don't think it will be a problem.[>:]
I have put a few rounds through it (3 1/2" winchester #6) and recoil was really light.

I have one gripe, the sights on mine are gona need to be changed out. the rear one had a little set screw in it before shooting at the range and now is no where to be found. plus the front sight is red, And I really dont like haveing any thing that looks like any thing thats in season on my persons while hunting. just seems like it would draw fire twards me and naturally Id like to avoid that. [:-]
My old turkey gun had a white bead at the muzzle and a copper (looked copper) littler bead about half way back. It was a good tuff system. Im headed over to the mosberg web site to see if I can get a set reall cheap for this new gun. if not I might shop the turkey scopes.
well thats my review of the mossberg 835 turkey gun.
thanks all,
switchbackxt

Old 04-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mossberg 835 turkey gun.

Check out the Tri-viz sights. That's what is on my 835 and I love them.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best sight I've ever had is the Tru-glo universal turkey hunter with the rear fiber optic ghost ring. Everyone that shoulders by shotgun says the same thing, "those are the nices fixed sights I've ever seen.

Tom
Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 AM

thanks guys,
I will take a look at those. right now I ripped the old white ball front/ bead rear off the old gun and installed them on the new one. it shoots fine!! well now to contact some of me farm land owners & offer to take those pesky turkeys off em' they eat your crops u know!
Ill even do it for free!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use an 835 as well and love it.I put a red dot scope from Cabelas on it and it is a shooter.
I understand about the sight but I wouldnt want white either.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about the red on the front of that gun. Hell I have 20/15 eyes and I can't see it on the gun when I want to see it!

About the screw on the rear sight... my 835's sights wouldn't go down far enough anyway... I took the thing out and it still shot way high.... I put a 2-7x32 scope on mine.

For some hellacious patterns.... Hevi-13.....209 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Had to beat it without using 7 shot.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got to tell you that I would be really worried hunting in your neck of the woods if the hunters could not identify YOU as another hunter, but could somehow see the TINY white or red bead on your gun and think it was a turkey!!!