Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which of these two centerfire rifles would you suggest for my use?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which of these two centerfire rifles would you suggest for my use?

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

The 550's are quite nice. SS trigger is nifty. For your purposes, I'd go with the heavier barreled varmint. I'd not be concerned with a DM, and the .308 is a great caliber. What scopes are your considering? The Zeiss Conquests with the Rapid Z reticles are dandy. Personally, I like the Z 600 but the 800 is also doable. Good luck with your selection.
I certainly agree that the varmint style is closer to a target rifle than the sporter is. I would opt for .308 if your use will primarily be paper punching. The .308 round is slightly more consistent.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:57 AM

I didn't think that video was all that funny myself. I will point out though that those guys were most likely experienced shooters ( to some degree), it was in a controlled environment and it was not a scoped rifle.

I personally think handing someone a gun that kicks hard that has no real experience shooting is pretty stupid. It's a good way to either turn them off of shooting, or ingrain some really bad habits that are hard to fix later on down the road. Not to mention getting hurt.

If do want to do something that mean to someone use a shotgun while they are shooting off hand. Turkey loads kick HARD, but they don't have as much range and there is no scope on the gun. Handing someone a high powered rifle with a scope is just retarded. The scope could actually hurt the person causing a nasty gash, concussion or a serious eye injury. And these guns have a very long range which doesn't help either if you miss the target or back stop. You could also damage your scope and mounts, maybe even your gun if they drop it. I am actually not keen on other people shooting my weapons, guns or bows if I have a lot of money invested in the them.

I think you are the only person I have met that wanted a larger gun just for the extra recoil?

If your looking for the cool factor I would suggest a good AR15. They look cool, the ammo is fairly affordable and the good ones are pretty darn accurate. Plus there is a lot you can do with them.

After reading some of you comments though I would rather see you get an AirSoft version though.

Paul
Old 04-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Besides, I'm pretty sure the recoil from a 9 lb rifle in .308 win like the CZ 550 can't be too bad at all."

9-pound rifle, cal . 308: 54 grains of powder, 180 grain bullet, MV 2650 FPS: Recoil = 18.8 foot pounds
same gun & bullet weight, 30/'06 59 grains powder, MV 2750 FPS: recoil = 21.0 foot pounds. BIG DIFFERENCE -NOT!!

You want recoil? Get a 7.5 pound Ruger No. 1 single-shot in 45/70. Shoot 400-grain bullets with 60 grains of IMR3031! MV 2200 FPS, recoil = 58 foot pounds.....