Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which of these two centerfire rifles would you suggest for my use?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which of these two centerfire rifles would you suggest for my use?

ORIGINAL: msmforever69

.300 win mag isn't available on the CZ 550 American, and even though I want recoil a good amount of recoil, i think the .300 mag would be just a bit more than what I'm looking for. I realize that a .308 and .30-06 are the same bullet almost, however for an uniformed shooter a .30-06 would seem like the "bigger" bullet comapred to .308 because of the larger case. So for my buddies who think shooting stuff is cool, and aren't too informed about bullet calibers, the .30-06 being the visually larger bullet will get more "ooohs and ahhhs and wows". To the uninformed a .270 win mag would appear to be a "bigger/more powerful" bullet than the .308 winchester because of the short casing. And yes Maine Shooter, size and visual are important. Spending 700 plus is a significant amount of change for me because I'm a college student, so if I'm spending 700 I want to make sure I get something that is visually appealing in addition to functionality and accuracy. But I can live with the .308 CZ 550 Varmint, Since it's probably not a good idea to spend a day at the range with the 550 American in .30-06.

But if I had the gigantic .30-06 cartridge, It's more likely at the range would .

Why do you want recoil?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:30 PM

I know that the bullet is the same, the case however is bigger on the .30-06.

I want recoil because it is simply part of the fun of shooting. Also because
1) shooting a .22 LR was quite boring, I'm sure you can kill deer with them with proper placement but that's not the point. I enjoy shooting, and recoil is a part of shooting. If I just wanted to punch holes at a target and get good groups without recoil, I could just get an airgun and I know of some that do hole in hole accuracy almost to 50 yards, and very tight groups at 100 yards.
2) I realize recoil decreases your accuracy, but I'm more concerned about the fun of shooting instead of how close my groups will be. Besides, I'm pretty sure the recoil from a 9 lb rifle in .308 win like the CZ 550 can't be too bad at all.
3) To make a video of my unsuspecting friend who has never shot before shooting the rifle and be entertained by it. The more the recoil, the funnier the video.

P.S. Out of Hilary and Obama, who is more lenient on gun laws? (no, definitely not voting for that idiot McCain)
Old 04-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Correction- the CZ 550s are similar to the Rem 798 in that they are both mauser 98 based actions, the similarity ends there, the CZ rifles are far and away much higher in quality than the remington imports.

+ 1 it appears the REmingtons aren't worth a
Old 04-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

3) To make a video of my unsuspecting friend who has never shot before shooting the rifle and be entertained by it. The more the recoil, the funnier the video.
Yeah, that's errr great. Just be prepared in case something goes not quite right. Really poor way to introduce a newcomer to the shooting sports.

I'm getting a pretty clear picture that I wish I hadn't seen now.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that the bullet is the same, the case however is bigger on the .30-06.

I want recoil because it is simply part of the fun of shooting. Also because
1) shooting a .22 LR was quite boring, I'm sure you can kill deer with them with proper placement but that's not the point. I enjoy shooting, and recoil is a part of shooting. If I just wanted to punch holes at a target and get good groups without recoil, I could just get an airgun and I know of some that do hole in hole accuracy almost to 50 yards, and very tight groups at 100 yards.
2) I realize recoil decreases your accuracy, but I'm more concerned about the fun of shooting instead of how close my groups will be. Besides, I'm pretty sure the recoil from a 9 lb rifle in .308 win like the CZ 550 can't be too bad at all.

So let me get this straight your throwing out 700-800 bucks on a rifle cal for the purpose of recoil and to falsely impress who people don't shoot at all,and who know nothing about cals.
Got news for you dude, its gonna get old very very fast..
YOU ARE ALREADY LOOKING LIKE A FOOL ON THIS THREAD,
YOUR GOING TO LOOK LIKE ONE IN FRONT OF THE WORLD WITH THIS ATTITUDE..YOU WILL BE THE BUTT OF ALL JOKES AT THE RANGE..
It doesn't matter what cal of gun you have, if all you have is the one cal gun, and you don't appreciate it for all the the right reasons, you'll think its the worst caliber made in history..
I don't know why you want to do this,but target practicing is a sport to be taken seriously,not for your own personal entertaiment atthe expense of your friend..
Ranges too have rules and ethics,and your expected toadhere to them.If you don't,they will kick your @$$ off the range for life. THIS IS THE EXACT PATH YOUR HEADING DOWN SO GROW UP..
Old 04-12-2008, 10:15 PM

I'll appreciate the caliber I have by taking advantage of what it is capable off. I never said my main purpose was to falsely impress friends and recoil, main purpose is to target shoot, and maybe shooting phonebooks, milk jugs etc. Also the rifle will be a decorative piece in the house as well. I have been shooting targets since middle school (although never with a centerfire rifle), and I think it won't get old anytime soon. Asides from that, nothing wrong with letting your friend try a .308/.30-06 and videotaping it and then laughing about it. I know how to responsibly handle firearms but hey I'm 21, let me have my fun now. I'm sure a lot of you have seen the video of people trying to shoot the .577 t-rex on youtube, this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-KaUl_olo&fmt=18

Now don't tell me if you had a video of that happening to your unsuspecting buddy, you wouldn't get a good laugh out of it .

althought i doubt the .308 would have that much, but still.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll appreciate the caliber I have by taking advantage of what it is capable off. I never said my main purpose was to falsely impress friends and recoil, main purpose is to target shoot, and maybe shooting phonebooks, milk jugs etc. Also the rifle will be a decorative piece in the house as well. I have been shooting targets since middle school (although never with a centerfire rifle), and I think it won't get old anytime soon. Asides from that, nothing wrong with letting your friend try a .308/.30-06 and videotaping it and then laughing about it. I know how to responsibly handle firearms but hey I'm 21, let me have my fun now. I'm sure a lot of you have seen the video of people trying to shoot the .577 t-rex on youtube, this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-KaUl_olo&fmt=18

Now don't tell me if you had a video of that happening to your unsuspecting buddy, you wouldn't get a good laugh out of it .

althought i doubt the .308 would have that much, but still.
Well I can tell you right now, safe gun practices are more than just how you handle your own gun at home or in the field.Its also about how you interact with fellow gun handlers as well..
I don't care what age you are this should have been taught to you at the beginning of your hunting and shooting days.

Intentionally handing over a dangerous weapon to an inexperienced shooter just so you can tape video tape and laugh at at his exspense(the way he unexpectedly handles the recoil) is just down right retarded..
That shooter is responsible for everything that bullet does until it stops.

I've see videos where bullets ricochet straight back at the after the shooter missed his intended target and hit a rock..
Thatnot funny its reality..It happens, damage is done,
and all gun owners pay the price..
It doesn't take much a blade or grass, a branch, a rock for that bullet to deflect and do some damage..

The first thing that shoulddoneis proper and safe firearm handling and once that is mastered than, and only than is a firearm handed to him..
I personally have never ever,ever, seen anyteacher or mentor purposely give his pupil a caliber of gun he knowsthe pupilmay or will a difficulttime handling.
ONLY ON YOU TUBE WOULD YOU GET SOMETHING LIKE THAT..[:-]

I don't live in the U.S. but if I did I'd do everything in my power to prevent you from getting your hands on one.
Your the very reason resposible gun owners are having to fight tooth and nail from having their gun rights taken..
Anti's and Democrats, are looking for those very videos
your thinking of taping..
And theywon't hesitate usingthose videos, against all the responsible gun owners in America..
I hope you think twice about it because you are affecting the outcome to the right to bare arms.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

...but I'm more concerned about the fun of shooting instead of how close my groups will be...
My local indoor range hosts a St. Valentine's Day full auto shoot every February. They have 8 or 10 guys with fully automatic rifles (pistol cartridges only: < 2,000 fps) who let the public come & shoot their guns at the range. It's only $5 per shooter, but you have to buy all the ammo from the range.

I tried it... once. Firstly, I thought it was just a b!tch to have to load a 50 round Thompson magazine over & over again, when I was emptying it in 3 to 5 seconds. Mainly, though, I found the whole exercise to be just plain stupid, because I couldn't put the little holes in a man-sized target at 15 yards! The muzzle rise, even on the little Uzis, took the bullet right up off the target, often into the ceiling of the indoor range!

I also have an AR in .223 that I bought back when some Knucklehead in Washington DC was offing people with a Bushmaster. I figured I should buy one while I could. At the time of purchase, I gave them even more $$$ for two 30 round magazines: get 'em before they're banned, dontcha know.

What I didn't know, though, was that it's virtually impossible to find a bench rest that will accommodate a long-a$$ed magazine that sticks out of the bottom of a rifle. Or that firing 30 rounds out of a rifle, even with a bull barrel, heats up the barrel so much that accuracy goes to [excrement]. So, you're reduced to firing offhand, or standing from a supported rest (forget about prone with those magazines), and likely not emptying the clip in one string, unless you just want to make lots of noise, & you don't care about barrel life.

My point? If you're looking to make noise, & you don't care about where the bullets go, then go get a 12 ga. It's only$250,it has plenty of recoil, lots of noise, & it will put your friend on the ground. Fun, fun, fun!

As for myself, I've discovered that shooting's only fun when the bullets go where you want them to go. Whether that's into paper, or into a game animal of any size. I have yet to meet anyone, or see any posts on these types of forums, where someone's bragging about how much fun they had shooting a 8" group.

I'd still recommend that you spend 2 or 3 outings at a range WITHOUT A RIFLE. See what they people are doing, shoot their rifles a time or two, & get an idea of the safety rules used, & the respect the shooters pay to them, and to one another. You might just decide to save $800.

FC
Old 04-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never said my main purpose was to falsely impress friends and recoil...nothing wrong with letting your friend try a .308/.30-06 and videotaping it and then laughing about it. I know how to responsibly handle firearms but hey I'm 21,
Talk about an oxyMORON. Man, this is the type of garbge that gives a bad image to all responsible firearm folks. Idiot stunts like this one rank up there with shooting into a surface of water. (another thread here now)A firearm is not a simple toy for one's amusement. If you can't take the use of them seriously, you have no business owning or shooting one - period.

21 eh? Act it! Show some of this responsible firearms handling.

I knew I missed the writing on the wall with this one at the start. [:@]
Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know how to responsibly handle firearms but hey I'm 21,
Come back when you are a grownup.

Quick Reply: Which of these two centerfire rifles would you suggest for my use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.