Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which of these two centerfire rifles would you suggest for my use?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which of these two centerfire rifles would you suggest for my use?

Well you're comparing 2 different things here......a .30-06 in a hunting rifle configuration, and a .308 in a varmint set up, which would be a better target setup, ie more weight....heavier barrel.

Since you stated mainly or only target shooting? I think the answer is clear, the .308, which is much more known as a target round than the .30-06, also its in more of a target rifle setup!

But now if you do plan to do more hunting, I am partial to the .30-06 over the .308, though both aparently can do great and most ranges. I was surprised to see how much energy the .308 had out to 500yds.

Also I think those rifles may be less than 800, isn't MSRP 800? or 750? so take another $100 off of that price?

Less you hate synthetics CZ makes a 550 varmint kevlar in .308 which IMO is better looking than the wood version, something you may consider.

You may ask for suggestions of other rifles in .30-06, I'm trying to think who else makes a nice .30-06 like you may want.....someone else may have some suggestions out there for you. I think though you're running into the problem of a .30-06 almost being exclusively used to hunt with, vs. target shoot with, whereas the .308 has been used for target, varmints, bigger game, I think you can find a .308 in a target setup much more easily than you can a .30-06.

Still wondering why you want a .30-06 so badly after all you want to target shoot? Do tell use more....less you plan to use it for more hunting/certain types of hunts?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still wondering why you want a .30-06 so badly after all you want to target shoot? Do tell use more....less you plan to use it for more hunting/certain types of hunts?
See his other thread- he wants a 30-06 because he wants recoil and he thinks recoil is soooo cool. [:-]
Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 PM

Ok, I realized that the varmint will be better for my purposes. And yes these guns will be less than 700, because their retail is mid 700s. As for synthetic stocks, I'm not a big fan. If the varmint was in 30-06, that would have been ideal. And I don't want to do any after market barrel work to change it, so considering all this I will take everyone's advice and stick with the Varmint.

Here is why I initially wanted a .30-06
1) More power at longer distances
2) I can handle recoil without much problem (strong shoulder ), and like Briman said I think shooting is more fun with recoil. I've shot .22 Lrs and it gets so boring because I can shoot them one handed and it feels like a kid's rifle.
3) So my bullets look bigger and cooler than my friend's .308 bullets
4) It's more fun loading a round with a longer action IMO.

Despite that, I think i'll go with .308 Varmint because that seems to be the consensus where I ask this question. I'll have to see which local dealers give me the best price. After that is bought, I'll have to send a few weeks online going on forums and asking about which optics are ideal in the 150-300 range.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: msmforever69

Here is why I initially wanted a .30-06
1) More power at longer distances
2) I can handle recoil without much problem (strong shoulder ), and like Briman said I think shooting is more fun with recoil. I've shot .22 Lrs and it gets so boring because I can shoot them one handed and it feels like a kid's rifle.
3) So my bullets look bigger and cooler than my friend's .308 bullets
4) It's more fun loading a round with a longer action IMO.
1) Paper targets could care less and the animal won't notice the small amount of difference. Shot placement in both activities is what matters.

2) To each thier own when it's recoil. As with #1, it's shot placement not recoil that a prospective buyer should be concerned with.

3) Same bullets, different cases/cartridges. If it's the attempt to look cooler why not go with larger cartridge altogether?

4) Someone is hung up on size andthevisual again.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Get a 300 win mag then.

Paul
Old 04-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Get a 300 win mag then.

Paul
Or a 338-378.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:45 PM

.300 win mag isn't available on the CZ 550 American, and even though I want recoil a good amount of recoil, i think the .300 mag would be just a bit more than what I'm looking for. I realize that a .308 and .30-06 are the same bullet almost, however for an uniformed shooter a .30-06 would seem like the "bigger" bullet comapred to .308 because of the larger case. So for my buddies who think shooting stuff is cool, and aren't too informed about bullet calibers, the .30-06 being the visually larger bullet will get more "ooohs and ahhhs and wows". To the uninformed a .270 win mag would appear to be a "bigger/more powerful" bullet than the .308 winchester because of the short casing. And yes Maine Shooter, size and visual are important. Spending 700 plus is a significant amount of change for me because I'm a college student, so if I'm spending 700 I want to make sure I get something that is visually appealing in addition to functionality and accuracy. But I can live with the .308 CZ 550 Varmint, Since it's probably not a good idea to spend a day at the range with the 550 American in .30-06.

But if I had the gigantic .30-06 cartridge, It's more likely at the range would .
Old 04-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get something like a .223 or .243 at the most if you are only shooting targets....
The .243 could double as a good deer rifle as well...If you get bored from lack of recoil, try shooting that '06 from your "off" shoulder, video it as well, I need another good laugh...

I did get a good laugh out of you thinking a .22 is a kids rifls...I've killed about 30 deer with a .22...It's actually an "experts" rifle...
Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: msmforever69

.I realize that a .308 and .30-06 are the same bullet almost, however for an uniformed shooter a .30-06 would seem like the "bigger" bullet comapred to .308 because of the larger case. So for my buddies who think shooting stuff is cool, and aren't too informed about bullet calibers, the .30-06 being the visually larger bullet will get more "ooohs and ahhhs and wows". To the uninformed a .270 win mag would appear to be a "bigger/more powerful" bullet than the .308 winchester because of the short casing.
The bullets ARE the same. Bullet = that little projectile that isprojected from the bbl of the firearm. The loaded ammo is a CARTRIDGE. So with both CARTRIDGES being .308 CALIBER, they do indeed have the same bullet but different CASES.
Color me different but I'd rather have performance or function over pretty and machismo-boosting ooohs, ahhhs and wows anyday. To each thier own. happy recoil!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread is absolutely amazing!

I'd give ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhs and aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs at the range for someone that can lay out some impressive groups, not someone that shoots a 30-06 because of its LOOOOONG MASCULINE case.....

My vote would be for the Varmint in 204, 223, or 22-250 if you just going to be punching paper out to 300 yards.

Quick Reply: Which of these two centerfire rifles would you suggest for my use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.