Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best .338 round for elk?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best .338 round for elk?

My experience doesn't mirror what the gun counter guy spoke off. I have personally put a few through elk/moose with140gr .284 out of my 7mm rem mag.One example:through both shoulder of a mature bull moose at close range(high velocity)and the weight retention was 96% and it expanded to .714" (over double). The result was a DRT moose, text book perfromance upon examining the recovered bullet andvery minimal meat loose. I was tickled and don't think one could get any better performance frankly.

I am not saying there aren't other bullets that'll shoot and work b/c their are plentyfor the 338 that are up to the task. I know guys who use Hornady 225gr SP's in their 338 wm's and never complain about game performance. I shoot with a fella who used 200 NBT's for everything in his 338wm. The list is long for bullets one can use but if accuracy is there with a barneshard pressed to find many that'lltrump it when it comes to the bigger/tougher game. In terms of the MRXyou gain abetter BC for longer range shooting & a polymer tip to start expansion. It also isn't 100% copper, it has a bonded tungsten core - hence the additional MRP. Have never shot them and at the current asking price for 20 doubt I ever will as see no need too. Barnes also have the TSX tipped now as well, though not sure if federal prem. is loading any yet?? I'd consider trying this bullet if the price isn't that much more but haven't found any up here in the cals.I'd use them in.

Good luck
Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I like the Federal ammo with a 250 grain Nosler Partition bullet.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best .338 bullet for elk?

Skeeter - I guess it was because when I was talking to the guy at the gun counter today he really didn't think the TSX was that good. He said as soon as you hit bone the petals will often break off. He said the Barnes MRX will be a little better, but also said the Winchester XP3 or the Swift A-Frame would be beter for the big stuff. In regards to my personal experience,I just purchased the .338 last year and have only shot a good sized muley buck with it at 200 yards. It was a straight pass through high in the lungs. Deer never took another step. I realize the .338 is a little big for mule deer,I actuially purchasedthe .338 for moose and elk, but because my moose didn't cooperate with me last year, I just had to hunt with it until I got an animal.

Any bullet that is 200 grains and over in a 338 is a big game bullet..you don't even need a bonded bullet or an x bullet any bullet with a conventional jacket and core will work great , these bullets are designed to kill Elk and Bear in that weight class. You can use X's or Xp3's no problem but there really is not a need for them. You can use a 225 grain corelockt, 250 grain Sierra GMK , 225 grain Hornady name it. The "Petals breaking off" from the gunstore guy shows how little he knows about that subject. When things break off inside animals they wreak havoc to the animal that it hits insides. Of course if you were to buy some of those Xp3's at the gunstore and paid the ridiculous selling price it would make the store owner happier.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion there is no better bullet made today than the TSX. I have never recovered one as all mine passed through game. An interesting note, there's an older fella I work with at a sporting goods store that recently returned from Africa on a Leopard hunt. He came across a very large Eland while on safari and was presented with a hard quartering shot. The 225 grain TSX from his .338 Win. Mag. broke ribs on the way in, did it's job in the cavity then severely damaged the off shoulder before coming to rest under the skin. We weighed bullet, 227 grains (it picked up alittle meat) and picture perfect just like in the glossy ads. There is nothing on this continent as tough as an Eland,Moose are about the same size. If it shoots leave it alone.